cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF743C says toner cartridge is not inserted correctly

ddwebb
Apprentice

It states specifically the Y toner. I have removed it, replaced it and still get the same msg. There is nothing to really do but drop the cartridge in the slot. So what to do now? 

I originally had the M cartridge spewing ink on paper so i removed the M and Y cart and cleaned up the excess M ink and replaced the carts, Now get the msg that the Y is not inserted correctly.

Help please. My wife is ready to throw it out the window but she is in the basement so wont hurt it.

8 REPLIES 8

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello, 

If the issue began after reseating a leaking toner cartridge, it looks like the contacts for the toner or printer are dirty. In this situation, you can try removing all of the toner cartridges and inspecting the inside of the printer for any loose toner powder that can be wiped up with a damp cloth. Once the printer has been cleaned, you can try reloading the toner to see if that resoles the issue.

If that does not resolve the problem, you can try another toner cartridge to see if it is detected. If that does not work, it looks like the printer needs service. You can contact support at 1-800-652-2666 or you can log into your MyCanon account to check your service options.

sonofbum
Apprentice

same problem here with magenta and yellow, the printer was working fine and all of a sudden prompted that the cartridges are not installed correctly. we have checked all terminals replaced the cartridges with no luck the same problem. I've had this printer for 3 months and am almost done with it I've been burned by HP and cannon now with printers that last less than a couple months

Hello Sonofbum,

If you have already tried reseating the toner and inspecting the inside for any loose toner powder and checked the contacts, it looks like the printer needs service. If you have had the printer for three months, it will be under warranty and you can contact our support team over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to assist with any hardware issues and can provide service options.

Did you ever get an answer to this and fix your printer? I have the same problem with genuine cannon cartridge on a MF743Cdw. Worked perfect and then the next day said Y and M cartridges are not installed properly (and the printer was not touched since it worked previously).  Cleaned as recommended below and still same message. At one point it said all cartridges were not installed properly, and then JUST cycled power and it went back to just Y and M again. So seems hokey. Maybe a new driver downloaded overnight that may not work properly, but not sure. This is a pricey business printer that I thought was going to last a long time.  No luck there.  Cost as much to fix as it would to just by a new laser printer.  I like Canon but having second thoughts.

I'm getting the error for 3 of 4 cartridges after they've worked fine for several months.  The time and money I've wasted on keeping this printer working properly...  this is the last Canon printer I'll ever buy!

dvdrouin1
Apprentice

Did you ever get an answer to this and fix your printer? I have the same problem with genuine cannon cartridge on a MF743Cdw. Worked perfect and then the next day said Y and M cartridges are not installed properly (and the printer was not touched since it worked previously).  Cleaned as recommended below and still same message. At one point it said all cartridges were not installed properly, and then JUST cycled power and it went back to just Y and M again. So seems hokey. Maybe a new driver downloaded overnight that may not work properly, but not sure. This is a pricey business printer that I thought was going to last a long time.  No luck there.  Cost as much to fix as it would to just by a new laser printer.  I like Canon but having second thoughts.  

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

ImageClass printers have a 3 yr warranty.  For consistency and to ensure reliable operation using Canon toners is recommend.  Machine errors are printer driven, meaning you'd receive the same error even if the printer wasn't connected to a computer.  This might include toners installed in an incorrect location, not properly seated, faulty, empty, etc.

Firmware version can also affect these types of errors, but I do not recommend updating firmware on a device which is malfunctioning.  I'd seek advice from Canon support first and if they suggest an update (if available) then proceed.  

First step, contact support.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks. I used a hand swiffer to gently clean any dust on the interior. Now I have the "cartridge not installed properly" for all 4 cartridges. Tried cleaning again, same issue. So sounds like a sensor issue, but I'm not sure where the sensor is.  It is an OEM cartridge.  I already had it update the software, which looked like it was already up-to-date. . If calling Canon support will cost money, I'm not interested in them charging me for trying everything I already tried.  Sorry, I'm getting quite frustrated with my expensive printer.

Announcements