cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644cdw - fails to be recognized very, very, very frequently - WIN10 Netgear Orbi dual band & USB

erik_funk
Apprentice

Beyond frustrated.  Wasting 15 minutes per attempt to print or scan.

Periodically computer indicates printer off line or scanner unavailable.  I can access printer via UI. I power cycle printer, sometimes helps. Most often, a series of computer restarts, printer restarts, tears, and then it's OK for a bit.  

Things I have tried:

Hard coded printer IP (~~~.167) at the router.

Using desktop, deleted printer, reinstalled as USB device using original installation disc.

I will give up on printing from a laptop over my Wifi network, and will settle for being able to reliably print and scan using my desktop.  Can't afford 15 minutes of experimentation every time I need to use the device.

I just need it to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Erik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Erik,

Orbi - I have the original RBR50 and a few satellites at one of our places.  Try disabling the Smart Connect option and give your 2.4 / 5G broadcasts unique names.

Now re-run the wireless set up and connect the printer to the dedicated 2.4Ghz broadcast.  Let us know if this improves the wireless connectivity.  Using a static or reserved IP is also recommended.

shadowsports_0-1676863589572.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings Erik,

Orbi - I have the original RBR50 and a few satellites at one of our places.  Try disabling the Smart Connect option and give your 2.4 / 5G broadcasts unique names.

Now re-run the wireless set up and connect the printer to the dedicated 2.4Ghz broadcast.  Let us know if this improves the wireless connectivity.  Using a static or reserved IP is also recommended.

shadowsports_0-1676863589572.png

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, shadowsports,

Almost afraid to declare victory yet, but I believe you put me on to the fix.  Had already hard coded the IP address, and I am now running it with USB from the physically adjacent desktop and as a network printer over the Orbi Wifi.  It has fooled me before with just enough obedience to let me relax, but we might be on the path to wellness thanks to your expert advice.  Thanks so much, stay warm over there,

Erik

mococatx
Apprentice

Having a similar problem with my ImagingClass printer that just started recently (not sure why).  Will try this solution and see if it helps.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Indeed. This solution is not specific to the 644cdw.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements