cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644Cdw scan function won't stay connected

Betsy987
Contributor

I am using an Imageclass MF644Cdw printer with a windows 10 Dell desktop, connected via USB cable.  I have made numerous calls to Canon service reps uninstalling and re-installing printer, printer drivers including Scan Gear drivers.  We have tried new USB Cable and different USB ports. We have disconnected the virus protection and I still can not scan until I restart my computer.  Once I restart the computer, scanning will work all day until I shut down the computer at the end of the day. When I restart the computer in the morning I will be able to print (ocassionally the printer goes off-line and I have to fix that) but I will not be able to scan until I restart the computer.  The last Canon rep tells me that it is a Windows 10 problem.  So if I want to scan that day, I have to restart the computer.  So far this workaround situation seems to continue working but it would be nice to have the issue fixed.

I can not call Canon customer service directly because each time the automated system asks me for the name of my printer I reply ImageClass, then the automated system asks me for the model and I reply 644.  Each and every time the system then tells me to call back when I have located the model number and I am cut off.  I have tried various ways of saying the model number and a rep told me to say these exact words but I still can't get past it. I do not have an accent and I tend to speak clearly and loudly.   The only way I can reach customer service is by calling Canon carepk activiation number or new sales and asking them to transfer me.  This is so frustrating.  I have to say each and every Canon rep I have spoken to has been very helpful  and easy to work with.

It seems that the last Canon rep I spoke to narrowed down the issue to needing to restart the computer in order to establish connection between the PC and the printer.  

Should I be contacting Dell or windows 10 about fixing this issue?  The computer came from Dell with windows 10 installed.  I purchased from Costco with an extended warranty.   I had Best Buy Geek Squad set up my computer and printer.  Any suggestions on who I should contact next with this issue?  It would be nice if Canon could work with Microsoft so they could help their Canon customers since so many folks are having problems with this printer.  Should I just resign myself to using the work around situation?

2 REPLIES 2

Darius
Whiz

Hi Betsy987.

If you're using a USB hub, try connecting the printer directly to the computer; connection through a hub can be hit or miss.

If the computer is a laptop, ensure it is plugged in and charging.  Running on battery power may cause issues with the USB signal between the printer and computer.

When contacting our phone-based support, the model number will be "MF644Cdw," and not just the prefix and number.  Be sure to (over)enunciate, in the case that the connection between you and our system is experiencing any static.  If the agent with whom narrowed down the problem to being computer-side, that is likely where the solution will be found.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you Darius

I am NOT using a USB hub.  The printer is connected directly to the printer.

I am not using a laptop.  As I previously mentioned I am using a desktop.

When contacting Canon phone based support, I have used the specific model MF644Cdw numerous times, repeating it exactly as the automated system suggests.  I tend to over enunciate in general.  A Canon rep suggested that I shorten my response to just 644 which I have also tried unsuccessfully.  Regardless the system does not work.  Canon could have the automated system changed so that if the system doesn't recognize a model number, the caller is automatically transferred to a customer rep.  Many businesses have an automatic option where you are transferred to a customer service rep if the system can not understand what you are saying.   

I have worked on this quirk with MFUtilityScan for quite some time.  I have spent time troubleshooting with the Geek Squad over this issue.  The built in Windows 10 scanner works fine.  The MFUtilityScan will only work if you restart the computer after having shut down the computer at the end of the day.  I have come to the conclusion that there is a flaw in Canon's MFScanUtility program that doesn't quite work smoothly with Windows 10 and the Windows 10 shut down feature.  The problem is isolated to the MFUtilityScan program since I have no problems scanning with other scanning programs.  I am frankly tired of spending so much time trying to find a solution.  I will be using an App called NAPS2 as suggested by another customer on Canon forum and the Geek Squad and will just abandon the MFUtilityScan program.  It is too bad because I have been a loyal customer of Canon for decades, purchasing numerous printers and cameras.  This will probably be the last Canon product I will purchase.  

Announcements