Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF644Cdw scan function won't stay connected

hookedup
Contributor

ImageClass MF644Cdw

Windows 10

Connection via USB (direct and no network)

After hibernation or a cold start, if I try to scan, the keypad message reads, “Connect the computer.” If I Restart (not shutdown and start) my pc, the connection gets restored and I can scan.

While scanner was disconnected, I’ve gone to the Canon MF Scan Utility and tried activating the scanner through the app. I get a message, “Canon MF Scan Utility has stopped. A problem…” If I try to print a document from the pc when the scan problem exists, there are no issues.

I’ve tried all the power setting suggestions for the USB ports and all the suggestions to keep the port from powering saving when not in use etc. I’ve uninstalled and installed the drivers per Canon following the disconnect/connect suggestions of the cable during the download and uploading.  I've spent a LOT of time waiting on the customer help line waiting to speak to someone.  I spoke to them once and the issue was not resolved.

The printer is two weeks new to me and already ready to take it back.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

28 REPLIES 28

Metzaluna2
Apprentice

I have the same problem. 2nd Canon with an unfic=xable problem. Canon has held me on the phone twice for an hour then cut off the call. Unit is 5 days old, but I destryed the box, so cannot return it. I will NEVER buy canon again

Darius
Whiz

Hi, hookedup and Metzaluna2.

If this error is occurring on the MF644Cdw following power saver or powering off and then on again, then it's possible that the scanner driver has become corrupted.  First, remove the printer's scanner driver:

1. Open the Windows Start menu in the corner of your screen.

2. Select Settings in the bottom-left corner of the (the icon that looks like a gear or sun).

3. In Settings, select Apps or, if that option isn't available, System Preferences.

4. On the left side of the new window, ensure Apps & Features is selected.

5. Select and uninstall the ScanGear scanner driver.

6. (optional) if the computer asks you to restart, do so.

Once the driver is uninstalled, you may reinstall it using the Recommended driver installation found on the MF644Cdw Drivers & Downloads page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/color-imagecl...

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

No, Darius - Product Expert, the solution did NOT fix the problem.

I'm sorry but what is jsut as annoying is that my initial post states that I have tried replacing the drivers according to Canon's procedure posted online and now your reply suggests that I do this.

To circumvent the problem, I have had to do a workaround waiting for some kind of REAL answer.  My post was 09/06/2019 and here it is 11/23/19.  Now my printer is almost 3 months old and no real solution.

Hi, Hookedup.

I clarified in my response, since, in reinstalling drivers, the ScanGear drivers are easy to overlook. If you haven't done so, you may also try uninstalling, restarting the computer, and then reinstalling.  Sometimes the restart is necessary to clean up lingering settings that caused the corruption before the drivers may be successfully reinstalled.

If that has already been done and doesn't correct the problem, and the computer is a laptop, then it may be powering down the USB port from lack of use; refer to the computer's manufacturer's support for help changing these settings.  It may also be a firewall, antivirus, or security software blocking the communications.  Ensure the ScanGear driver and Canon-produced scanning software for the printer has been allowed through the firewall/antivirus.  Refer to the security software's support for directions on adding exceptions.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you, Darius, for your responses, I have instituted a temporary fix of extending the automatic sleep time for the machine to the max. Works for the moment. I use my printer/scanner for work and frankly do not have the time right now to try fixes. I will probably return the product if that is required. I did not pay for it intending to become a Canon tech, or an unpaid product tester/developer. BTW I would have loved to speak to a service tech, but twice I was put on hold for over an hour, then hung up on. I know this was neither  your fault nor your doing, but it is Canon's, and it is shameful.

I experience exactly the same problem. I use wireless instead. Followed the instruction, and it is not working at all!! TOO FRUSTRATED!!! Scanning NOT working. Always says ""Connect to computer". Unable to change the scan feature (like file type, etc.) on the touch screen but I only can control scanning use the computer. etc., etc.,  

If anyone has a solution please let us know. I use mine in a very busy home business and I loathe to take the time (and lose the money and clients I would have otherwise) to return it, install a new scanner and learn new software. It is getting to that point, however. HELP

I was having the same issues as I read on here.  I installed the drivers probably 6 or more times and still had no luck.  Kept saying it couldn't connect to my computer when I picked the Scan funcition on the printer touch screen. So, I went into the Program Files and found the MF Scan Utility.  I set all the settings for all the different types of scans.  On that second tab you can customize the settings for the 4 settings where it says Color, Black & White, Custom 1, Custom 2.  Once I did all of that, my scanner works like a charm.  It's gone into sleep mode and all comes back ok now. 

Tiny71, thanks for the input.  What I don't understand is why is there a need to set anything if Canon has defaults.  I could (maybe) understand if there were no values.  Every one of the fields already have values.  Did I miss your point?  I finally ended up going wireless and that's the only way the printer found my pc.  I did not want to go wireless.  Thank you.

Announcements