cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4890DW says An original is in the feeder (ADF) when there is none

TheNYCCharles
Apprentice

MF4890DW says An original is in the feeder (ADF) when there is no paper in the automatic document feeder on top of the machine.  Is there something jammed in the ADF, I looked and there isn't anything there or even a mechanical sensor that is triggered when paper is inserted into the ADF.  So when I put paper there to scan, it will scan to the last page and because it's always detecting paper there, it will error out as a paper jam at the last page when it thinks there's paper there and it couldn't grab the paper and so no scan file is created.  Please help. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Danny

Hi, TheNYCCharles!

Thanks for posting on our forum! This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. If this is a time-sensitive matter, you can call our imageCLASS support team Monday through Friday at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).  You can also click HERE search our knowledge base or register your Canon gear HERE to access additional support options.

Thanks and have a great day!

TheNYCCharles
Apprentice

Please let me know where I can free the ADF paper sensor .  thank you

WHEN No original was in ADFWHEN No original was in ADFIMG_20230201_102727950.jpg

IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0004.JPG

Hello TheNYCCharles,

If you do not see any obstructions in the path like in the images above, it looks like there is something wrong with the hardware or something is stuck in the path that you do not have access to. In this situation, you can try inserting a stiff/thick piece of paper into the slots in the ADF that the paper is pulled through and then pulling it back out. Cardstock, a sheet of 4X6 photo paper or an index card might be able to clear any obstructions in the path. If that does not resolve the issue, it looks like the printer needs service. You can check your available service options by logging into your MyCanon account or contacting support at 1-800-652-2666.

Announcements