cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF4150 scanner not work on windows 10

calatubo
Apprentice
Hello everybody, after fill this long procedure: http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/MF-4150-Scanner-Problem/td-p/76522 and install all the newest driver / Toolbox, I still not able to scan from my device. Inside the device manager I can see under scanning devices an item called Canon MF4100 series and the so tell me that the device is working ok. Therefore, with Toolbox, when I press any scan button, no windows appeare. I have try also with the Microsoft Scanner application from the store but the application stay on wait... status for ever. Also in Toolbox settings there is the Canon MF4100 series as device to use but nothing is possible. Thanks for the attention. Marco
21 REPLIES 21

Please take a look at our new Service Notice on the availability of a patch to address an issue that prevents certain imageCLASS models from scanning as a result of updating to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.

Windows Scanning Update for imageCLASS:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Announcements/Important-Windows-Scanning-Update-for-imageCLASS/m-p...

Tiffany,

My MF4150 ImageCLASS scanner usually works, then it  stops working after a Windows OS upgrade. This keeps happening time and again, so I have to reinstall all the files that came with the original CD or search for new software. This time I had to download MF 4800 MF Drivers and then Toolbox_4911mf18_win_en to get the apps to work. Canon is usually very slow to provide these updates and a forecast on when such software updates will be available would be useful.  

I have probably downloaded and installed quite a few versions over time, so I have a lot of old drivers and setup files that I need to delete. It is now Oct 2016, so can you provide a list of the current operating files for the ImageCLASS MF4150?

What I would like to see is the list of the "user software" files, titles, version number and the latest date of the file to make sure that I have the latest software for the Toolbox, Omnipage, Presto, FAX, Manuals, and Drivers. 

If there is a link to an area on the Canon website with this kind of recent information for the various models of printer, I would really appreciate being directed to it.  I also have a MG5420 so the list of the current files for that printer would be very useful as well. So far it seems to be scanning and printing as advertised.

Thanks.

djncanon
Apprentice

I've tried all the suggested fixes; they all work FOR A WHILE, but then I get the error message 'cannot communicate with scanner...'

@djncanon wrote:

I've tried all the suggested fixes; they all work FOR A WHILE, but then I get the error message 'cannot communicate with scanner...'

I had this problem about 3-4 months ago related to Canon Toolbox 4.9. I'd update, then it would work, then I'd get the "cannot communicate" message. I am not sure what actually fixed it because I tried many things.  

Here is what I remember that might help.  I found the 4150 firmware update and followed those instructions first.  Then I found the updates for the 4150 but I recall that the update used a different model number. By that point, I gave it a try. I still got the "cannot communicate" message so I uninstalled the MF Toolbox and reinstalled it. That seemed to fix it.

I just tried it and I get the MF Toolbox - Scan Function box, and when I click on the PDF scan the second PDF box pops up.

So it still works.  Good luck.

al1
Enthusiast

@al1 wrote:

@djncanon wrote:

I just tried it and I get the MF Toolbox - Scan Function box, and when I click on the PDF scan the second PDF box pops up.

I have to eat my words. I just tried opening MF Toolbox today 25 Dec 16 (10 days after my post above) and I got the same old "cannot communicate with scanner" message. Obviously the Canon software people have not fixed this ongoing issue.

I tried to uninstall MF Toolbox and it would not work. I downloaded the MF Toolbox 4.9.1.1mf18 and it would not install. So I am back to square one like everyone else. Delete everything then reinstall everything in order to get it to work for at least 10 days.  

al1
Enthusiast

@al1 wrote:

@al1 wrote:

@djncanon wrote:

Prev iously:

Then it didn't work: 

So I am back to square one like everyone else. Delete everything then reinstall everything in order to get it to work for at least 10 days.  

After 40 mintues of fiddling around:

The Windows troubleshooter indicaed it was a USB 2.0  incompatibility with USB 3.0 device problem. I don't know why Toolbox did not continue working previously with the MF 4150 I have. Glitchy software!

So, I downloaded this file from the download site and restarted my computer and Toolbox is working again.

File Name Date File Size  

[Windows 32-bit & 64-bit] Patch for Network Scan, USB Scan

I wonder how long it will last? Merry Christmas!

Janidr
Apprentice
Many thanks. It worked.

I should have put more information about the patch for others:

It was only on the www.usa.canon.com website. It may not be on other countries websites which is why I missed it.

It says:

This patch resolves an issue that prevents scanning over a network or with a USB connection after upgrading Windows to a newer version. If you cannot scan over a network or with a USB connection, install this patch. If installing (or reinstalling) the MF driver, be sure to first restart (not shut down) your PC after driver installation is complete, and then install this patch.

[Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF4150 MFDrivers (UFR II / FAX / ScanGear)01/13/1716.07 MB

Cheers,

I've been fooling with this issue for two days now and I think I have figured out what the "MF" stands for.

Will NEVER buy another CANON product again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Announcements