cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF264dw whining sound in energy saver mode

ipodjockey
Apprentice

I just purchased a Imageclass MF264dw a couple days ago.

When the printer enters energy saver mode it emits a high-pitched electronic vibrating sound from somewhere near the back of the printer. It does not stop emitting this noise while it is in energy saver mode. Exiting energy saver mode stops the noise. All other fuctions work perfectly.

I have tried plugging it into serveral different outlets to confirm that is not a grounding issue or noise on that circuit. 

I spoke to Canon technical support about the issue. He thought that the issue may be caused by vibrations of a partially defective transformer on the power board.  We thought we had a work-around by placing the computer in quiet mode. Unfortunately, right after I hung up with support, I learned that the energy saver timer overrides quiet mode. 

The tech had told me that there is no way to permanently disable energy saver mode on this model. As far as I can tell this is true. I don't really want to go through the hassel of sending this printer back, but I can hear that noise from across the room.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If this ocurrs with the printer connected to any power source, replace it.

Return it, or exchange with the retailer.  Don't keep a lemon.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If this ocurrs with the printer connected to any power source, replace it.

Return it, or exchange with the retailer.  Don't keep a lemon.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ipodjockey
Apprentice
10-4 I was worried about that might be the case.

Hi,

Shadowsports got the right answer.

Announcements