cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imageCLASS MF4450 MF toolbox can't find scanner

chris_2000
Apprentice

My MF4450 scanner worked 3 days ago, but it stopped funtioning today after my windows 10 pro recent patch, I guess. MF toolbox 4.9 can't connect to the scanner, with error msg" a supported scanner is not installed". The most funny part is windows fax & scanner can scan via this scanner. I connected the scanner to my PC directly via USB. Any solution?

Regards,

Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

James_C

Hi chris_2000

Let's perform the following steps to resolve the error:

1. Open the Windows Desktop.

2. Right click on the MF Toolbox icon and click Properties.

3. Click the Compatibility tab, then click "Change settings for all users". 

4. Put a check next to "Run this program as an administrator", then click Apply and OK.

5.  Attempt to scan from the MF Toolbox software.

If the issue continues, click HERE for additionally steps to do to resolve the issue.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

I recomend after trying to install and reinstall about 200 times this MF crap to buy somthing which works or to buy Cannon again aftrer they fire all those software develepers...but I am not upset...Now I will design space shuttle since is much easiser

Hello, try this thread (36 pages of different solutions that sometimes for some people worked):

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Office-Printers/MF-Toolbox-doesn-t-work-on-Windows-10/td-p/147893

Sometimes Windows Update resolves the problem, sometimes reinstalling printer software with anti-virus deactivated (or even uninstalled), sometimes administrator privileges when launchint MF Toolbox, sometimes system enviromental variables... It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get 😉

What about MacOS? MF Toolbox does NOT see the scanner on MacOS at all. Neither High Sierra nor Mojave. Tried from different MacOS computers, same results. Does not see the scanner via Bonjour and does not connect when explicit IP address is provided.

Not to mention that there are no Linux drivers AT ALL for the scanner or the fax. 

The percentage of Windows computers is in constant decline, yet Canon does not find it good business to properly support operating systems that are on the rise, such as Linux and MacOS.

Very disappointed in Canon's historically high quality brand.

Hi george916.

What is the model number of your printer? Some our newer models are not supported with the MF Toolbox. Have you tried using the MF Scan Utility?

Please note that if you need immediate assistance with this issue, please call 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks James. Your instructions were very clear and helpful. I also experienced a similar issue with my compuer giving me an error message (a supported scanner is not installed) when I tried to run my scanner on my Image Class MF4350d device. 

Thanks again,

All the best

Farid

Thanks a lot, this method is worked.

Worked, 

Thanks

While this workaround (run Toolbox as Admin) "works", it really does not work: On a properly configured system (one on which the normally logged-in user is NOT a member of the Administrators group), this will result in Toolbox saving scans into the local folders of the (other, administrative) user as which Toolbox runs after the (non-Admin user who needs to scan something) responds to the Windows UAC prompt with an admin user ID and password.

Additionally, it's never correct to tell a user "that normal user function requires administrative privileges to work".

That Toolbox cannot find the (installed, works with Windows Scan & Fax) scanner, means that something about the way the Canon drivers install the device set the device permissions incorrectly, or, more likely, that something about the way the ancient MF Toolbox software was (mis)written is trying to do something wrong.

Despite the fact that this is older software, it goes along with hardware that is meant to last for many years (my MF6550 is 14 years old and still works fine), and Canon morally owes it to the user community to put a bit of software re-engineering effort in to updating MF Toolbox to make it work on modern Windows systems.

chris_2000
Apprentice
Thanks, James, yes, it solved my problem.

thornthor
Apprentice

Ok...none of the fixes  here worked for me.  I had a different problem and found a diffrent fix. For me ..I clicked on circular window symbol. bottom left..typed in scan in search window...chose view scanners and cameras. My MF6590 scanner was not present.in scanner list  .no scanners at all were shown.    So I pressed add device...pressed yes to allow changes...pressed " next "on   ....scanner wizard.....clicked on "have disk."......clicked .."browse "...on install from disk window...went to my MF6590 driver folder which was in my user download folder...opend the win2k_vista folde inside the MF6590 driver main folderr... that  folder had 3 drivers in it....I chose the "MF20SCN "...driver..pressed open..finished the install....shut my computer down...restarted my computer...when the computer restarted ...it said installing new driver. When I went back to press on windows symbol and searched for "scan" and chose  "view scanners and cameras"...this time ...it displayed a  MF6500 scanner  symbol in the scanner list that was installed. .  So next I went to the windows symbol in bottom left again and typed in scan in search window...chose scan a document or picture....windows fax or scan program opened...I chose new scan...selected document profile...source flatbed...grayscale and jpeg 300 dpi....pressed scan with canon MF6590 in scan mode...and it scanned the document i had on the flatbed of the MF 6590.. Then since that worked ..I opened the MF tool box application 4.9.1.1 and this time it opened ...with no error message. Before these fixes it would usually say no compatible scanner..please install a compatible scanner...but this time that error message did not occur. I pressed pdf fom the MF tool box ..a dialogue window opened up to set pdf settings and I scanned the document on the MF6590 flatbed into a pdf via the MF toolbox app. Problem was resolved

Announcements