cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

See Piers_A fix from 08/19/2015 10:36PM.

Same problems here. After recent Windows 10 64 bit update all of our offices with Canon devices are fully paralyzed.

I tried everything described above. Read all the pages above and did everything. Nothing helps. I can print, but I can't scan.

I compeletely reinstalled drivers (with full cleanup) and MFToolbox, installed the latest patch for Windows 10 from Canon web site. Disabled firewalls and antivirus software. Changed WIA service recovery and login options.  Added admin permissions to MFToolbox executable. Even tried to use older versions. 

Added %windir%/twain_32/%scanner_model%/ (with and without slash at the path end) to PATH enviroment variable, even installed Windows Scan App. Windows scan app returns black screen. Nothing helps. 

We have 2 Canon MF6140dn and one IRC2380i. 

IR is totally dead, Windows and Color Network ScanGear 2 could not connect to scanner. I can ping it, access the web interface, but I can't set it up in ScanGear. Windows scanner test says that it is disconnected.

MF6140dn throws error 162,0,0 if I try to scan from MF Toolbox, and suggests me to install appropriate MF Toolbox version when I try to scan from scanner. 

My boss willing to kill me, the office staff want to cut me into pieces. I totally stuck and don't know what to do. 

I have "fixed" this problem a couple of times since I purchased a new Windows 10 computer. Whenever there was an Windows 10 upgrade, I had to redo the fix.

After the latest major Windows upgrade, I cannot get my MF4150 scanner to work, even using the suggestions on the board that previously did provide minimal scanner functionality.

I uninstalled all Canon software, reinstalled the drivers and the MF toolbox, following the instructions to unplug the USB cord, and I still cannot scan.

The MF toolbox seems to install normally, but it does not appear in my list of programs and did not create a desktop shortcut as it had always done in the past.

When I try to reinstall, I get the message telling me that it is already installed and asking if I want to overrite the existing driver. I did overrite and it still didn't work.

I tried using the Windows 10 scanner app and I can do a preview scan, but not a complete scan.

Perhaps Canon thinks we will all go out and buy new Canon Windows 10 compatible Scanners if they don't provide funtional drivers for their existing machines.

Stupid Canon. Tomorrow I'll go for Xerox Cat Mad

BTW I took a test PC, inserted fresh HDD and installed Win10. Made all updates, installed everything step-by-step including fixes and suggestions above.

Nothing happened. Same problem, same errors.

P.S.: Big thanks to all community members for hints and solutions. 

P.P.S.: Windows event viewer also keeps silence.

Beware: Xerox isn't much better about driver support. I don't think there is any brand that makes rock-solid-reliable scanners right now. They always either have hardware flaws or driver flaws or both.

This is a small sample, I know, but my two Brother all-in-ones have worked 100% on Win10 and Linux from day 1.

I resolved the Canon problem by taking it into my back garden (US -back yard) and hitting it repeatedly with a hammer until it was dead. A small price to pay to end the frustration.

Same situation here, we have a good-old Xerox, works like a charm on it's old stock drivers and software which came from the box. Works after all Windows 10 updates.

I killed another 4 hours of my life to solve the problem. No progress at all. It simply doesn't work.

I am running the latest CanonMF Toolbox 4.9 on Canon's website (for my Canon Imageclass D1150), and I ran the patch they suggested to run.  After the latest Windows 10 update, I couldn't scan again.  So I just ran the patch one more time and now it runs just fine again.

For me, Canon has kept the drivers working for my D1150 with Windows 10.  I just had to follow the instructions to the letter. And keep trying until I got it right.  But, I have a lot of patience.

Still no reply from Canon to me.

On another note I had problems with my card readers, both internal and external, after upgrading to Win10.  After six months of hair pulling I took it to a pro shop.  After they tried for two full days, and failed, they came back to me and said that the problem was that Win10, when updated, or even booted, automatically replaced any drivers that it didn't think belonged there with the MS signed and approved driver that was already in Win10, from its first release.  So, no matter how many times the shop put the correct driver in for those card readers Windows 10 replaced them each time it booted or updated with the one that didn't work.

I don't know if this has any bearing on all of our problems here, but maybe the do-nothings at Canon could look into that.  I almost choked with laughter after I typed that line because it was such an oxymoron: Canon actually doing something to help their customers.

Canon, WTF?! Please fix your god **bleep** drivers. Our office started loosing clients due to problems with scanners.
Announcements