Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

@al1 wrote:

So if your machine is working and isn't broken, then don't try to fix it. I don't automatically update Windows 10 anymore.   

Me neither. Ever since XP...  Been burned too many times.

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi Haeri.

Printers released in different regions may use different firmware versions due to the differences in available compatible services in each region.  It's recommended to only use the firmware for your model, from the region in which it was made.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Dear Darius,

thansk for the response! Although interesting to know, the question if I should load firmware from the US was only a very unimportant side question. The main question I have, as stated here is why the scanner is not working anymore and how to fix it. Would be great if you could help out!

@al1 Thanks for the suggestion, but advising people not to update their computer is generally a bad idea. I rather have printer issues than a ransomeware whiping out all my data. And I know people can be nostalgic for the good old days, but running XP is not sensible anymore if one is planning to connect to the internet.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-739/Microsoft-Windows-Xp.html

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@Haeri wrote:

@al1 Thanks for the suggestion, but advising people not to update their computer is generally a bad idea.

@haeri  I specifically said: " I don't automatically update Windows 10 anymore. "   

I did not advise people  to not update their computer software.  I pause these updates for Windows 10 and check out what people are saying about them before I press the Update button. I hope that provides you with more clarity. 

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi Haeri.

If the MF Toolbox's buttons aren't responding (per your gif), even without an error message, then something on the computer is stopping the program from responding.  You can check for any conflicting software, and if you're on WIndows, you can check the TWAIN_32 folder (close all imaging/scanning programs, move everything from the folder except WIATWAIN.ds, then try the MF Toolbox again).  If the TWAIN_32 check works, then the problem is that another scanning, imaging, or video recording program is conflicting (I've also seen interactive whiteboard software cause this).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Darius

I have only two items in my twain_32 folder: "wiatwain.ds" and a folder called "MF4100". But if I remove the "MF4100" folder, the MF Toolbox states that there is no compatible scanner installed on the system.

I have also checked that I have no other programs running. I have also no whiteboard or similar program installed. Do you have any other suggestions?

Highlighted
Product Expert

Hi Haeri.

If moving that folder didn't correct the problem, then something else is affecting the computer's ability to communicate with the scanner, and to operate that software.  You'll need to contact your computer's manufacturer for further troubleshooting.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Darius,

What about my problem?  And the original post's problem (which should be the same)??

Toolbox worked when I installed windows 10 (new drive).  Then, and month later, it doesn't work.  There were a bunch of MS Office, Visual Studio's, TI's Code Composer Studio, even notepad++ installed.   Removing them one by one to see when your tool box starts working isn't an option.

Maybe, if you shared some information like what what the connection is SUPPOSED to be, I could try troublehooting it myself.  Sicne the support from Canon is non-existant.

Because YOUR software with YOUR product (imageClass MF 4890dw) telling me this,  is of no value. (which has the updated firmware, as I indicated a few posts ago...)

toolboxFail.jpg