cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

No change.  But thanks.

I downloaded it, put the unit is firmware update mode, it did an update.  Nope.  Same behavior.

Their toolbox...  their driver software...  their firmware I just updated...  their toolbox... I'm not in the mood to troubleshoot all their stuff.

Again I ask... WTF?  What is "The appropiate MF Toolbox" ??

toolboxFail.jpg

@scotty2541 wrote:

Again I ask... WTF?  What is "The appropiate MF Toolbox" ??

MF toolbox is a different installation. I know it is a pain and I am not sure which Canon model of printer/scanner you have. Once you have your printer working, then install the MF Toolbox application for the scanner.    

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1012522/~/%5Bwindows-32bit-%26-64bit%5...

FYI - I did note that there is a UK version of the printer driver that is 2 meg larger than the US version of the file. MF4100_MFDrivers_W64_uk_EN   I am not sure what country you are in, but there may be differences. Who knows?

I'm in the US.

I've gotten everything from "usa.canon.com"

I have an ImageClass MF4890dw

I use the Canon web site to select my device, and drill down to get the drivers, software, firmwarre, etc..

I can print all day long.  Everything else works exactly as it did when I was on Windows 7 back in December, 2019.

The Toolbox, which is the exact same one I used in Windows 7, and is the exact same one they tell me to download through the product selector, doesn't work on Windows 10 anymore (the file hashes are the same between all copies I can find).

After I installed Windows 10, it worked... for a while.  Then stopped.

@scotty2541 wrote:

I'm in the US.

I've gotten everything from "usa.canon.com"

I have an ImageClass MF4890dw

I use the Canon web site to select my device, and drill down to get the drivers, software, firmwarre, etc..

I can print all day long.  Everything else works exactly as it did when I was on Windows 7 back in December, 2019.

The Toolbox, which is the exact same one I used in Windows 7, and is the exact same one they tell me to download through the product selector, doesn't work on Windows 10 anymore (the file hashes are the same between all copies I can find).

After I installed Windows 10, it worked... for a while.  Then stopped.

---------------------------------------

Everything that I have said applied to my ImageClass MF4150 model and I downloaded from the Canon Canada site.  Someone with the same machine as you might be better qualified to answer. Also, when I "reset" Windows 10 Ver 2004 it wiped out all my Canon applications and drivers so I had to start with a clean slate.  I read somewhere that you needed to delete the canon software before re installing it.    That's the last suggestion I can offer you and I agree that Canon support could do a better job explaining how to fix things for specific products rather than running a gauntlet of painsticks.. 

Thanks for that advice.

Canon support probably could explain it better...  If anyone from them would respond.

Interesting.. I havve been downloading my software from this page:
https://de.canon.ch/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/laser/laserbase_mf_seri...

Because my machine is called iSensys, the european canon page was being suggested. But the US page seems to have an additional firmware, which is not listed on the european one. Now the question is, is it safe to install the firmware as it is called "imageCLASS" and not "iSensys". Will this brick my device? Just trying to be careful, caus at least it is printing fine in its current state.

I would say no...

Most firmware updates (video cards, printers, PC BIOS, etc...) perform a validation to insure it is authentic and for the correct device.

However, I wouldn't bet on that.

@Haeri wrote:

Interesting.. I havve been downloading my software from this page:
https://de.canon.ch/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/laser/laserbase_mf_seri...

Because my machine is called iSensys, the european canon page was being suggested. But the US page seems to have an additional firmware, which is not listed on the european one. Now the question is, is it safe to install the firmware as it is called "imageCLASS" and not "iSensys". Will this brick my device? Just trying to be careful, caus at least it is printing fine in its current state.

You probably need to do a lot of research first before making any changes to a working machine. The latest version of the Windows OS ver 2004 has a lot of bugs that affect drivers. Sometimes it isn't the peripheral device but the OS that is the problem. 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-2004-were-already-looking-into-these-10-issues-says-microso...

So if your machine is working and isn't broken, then don't try to fix it. I don't automatically update Windows 10 anymore.   

@al1 wrote:

So if your machine is working and isn't broken, then don't try to fix it. I don't automatically update Windows 10 anymore.   

Me neither. Ever since XP...  Been burned too many times.

Hi Haeri.

Printers released in different regions may use different firmware versions due to the differences in available compatible services in each region.  It's recommended to only use the firmware for your model, from the region in which it was made.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements