cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

GWinTX
Apprentice

I have a MF4570DN - I cannot get the wireless scanner to work on my Dell laptop running Windows 10.  I can wirelessly print and fax from my laptop; but cannot scan wirelessly.  (I have an older personal Toshiba laptop running Windows 10 and can scan wirelessly from it)

The Dell is a corporate laptop and I login to a corp domain.  They may have some things locked down, but are trying to assist in getting this to work. The latest software, MF Toolbox is loaded, the latest scan patch is installed by our IT dept.  What am I missing to get the wireless scanner to work? Is there something that needs to be configured differently?

I am working from home on an ATT wireless network.  The printer is hardwired to the router.

I appreciate your assistance very much!!!

gman888
Apprentice

this seemed to work for me.

install 

[Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf18

I reinstalled (resetting) Win 10 which wipes out your apps including MF Toolbox.   

Downloaded and Installed [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf18  and it worked! I was shocked & surprised.

Now I have to get the printer to print on 2-sides. It keeps giving me an error telling me to load correct paper cassette A4. As always trying to solve one problem leads to another! 

Nice to know it worked...  Now where do you find it?

The one and only page I can find on Canon web side is broekn JS.  No matter how many times I try to download it, nothing happens.

.... nw3s/CanonUSA/DownloadContents/English/0200155901EN.htm

@scotty2541 wrote:

Nice to know it worked...  Now where do you find it?

The one and only page I can find on Canon web side is broekn JS.  No matter how many times I try to download it, nothing happens.

.... nw3s/CanonUSA/DownloadContents/English/0200155901EN.htm

I used a Canon Canada site. 

https://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1012522/~/%5Bwindows-32bit-%26-64bit%5...  Hope it works for you.

That appeared on my search.  It is not a "cannon" domain.  So I don't trust it.

Just like the misspelled domain "canon-mf-toolbox.en.lo4d.com"  claims to have it too.

The one on the canon domain doesn't work.

I already have "ToolBox4911mf18WinEN.exe"   That is the one I am using.

This all worked on my new install until MS, or Code Composer, or Visual Studio, or MS Office, etc... did something to sabatoge it. I did not create resotre points for every application I installed during my Windows 10 install.

All the same components were installed in Windows 7, and worked fine.

Haeri
Contributor

I have been struggling with the MF Toolbox for the past 5 Years. It just seemingly stopped working here and there and then fixed itself. But now with the latest Windows update it seems to be completely dead for me. No amount of reinstalling and patching seem to help.

• I am using a iSensys mf4150 printer/scanner
  • I am on the Windows 10 version 1909.
  • I have completely erased all the previous drives and the MF Toolbox and reinstalled them.
    • First the original driver: MF4100_Series_MFDrivers_W64_DE.exe
    • Next the MF Toolbox: ToolBox4911mf18WinDE.exe
    • Next I updated the driver: UpdateProgram_forRtoL_EN.exe  (with 7 patched files)
    • And lastly, I patched the Toolbox: NetworkUSBScanPatchEN (with 1 patch message)

I have tried running the Toolbox as an administrator, in compatibility mode and disabled all malware programs. But the result is always the same. The Toolbox won't start a scan dialog.

canon.gif

As you can see, I have exhausted all possibilities here. If there is a secret Toolbox dance to make it work, please let me know. 

@Haeri wrote:

I have been struggling with the MF Toolbox for the past 5 Years. It just seemingly stopped working here and there and then fixed itself. But now with the latest Windows update it seems to be completely dead for me. No amount of reinstalling and patching seem to help.

As you can see, I have exhausted all possibilities here. If there is a secret Toolbox dance to make it work, please let me know. 

I don't know if this had any effect but I did restart my PC after each install. I also turned the printer on and off after each install. There is also a hardware software update that needs to be done which I assume you have discovered and implemented. 

First get your printer to work with the 3 files you mentioned for your 64 bit machine. Then, once it is working, install the MF Toolbox script. This sequence may not work, but it is all I can suggest at the moment. 

Have you also gone though the Guide and made sure all the Settings and Additional Functions are set?

Can you direct us to this Hardware/Software update?

I assume you mean a firmware update to load to the printer?

It would be nice if Canon gave a ... "crap" about their customers who are struggling with this.  But alas, they appear to be silent.

@scotty2541 wrote:

Can you direct us to this Hardware/Software update?

I assume you mean a firmware update to load to the printer?

It would be nice if Canon gave a ... "crap" about their customers who are struggling with this.  But alas, they appear to be silent.

You should be able to find your  model from this link. Products-> Printers-> ImageClass ->MFSeries -> your model  At Drivers & Downloads click the Firmware field. There is a *caution* so be careful.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/drivers-downloads

**Caution** 
A critical error may occur if another computer or application communicates with the printer (for example, printing) while the firmware is being updated. 
Do not turn OFF the printer or disconnect the interface cable (USB or LAN cable) while the firmware is being updated. 

* In order to prevent this error: 
 - Connect USB cable. 
 - Disconnect the telephone cable from your printer to prevent FAX interruption during firmware update. 
 - When connecting with a USB cable, do not connect the cable via a USB hub, as this may cause a connection error. 
 - Do not perform printing while the firmware is being updated. 
 - The printer may need service when a critical error occurs, such as the printer will not function after it has been turned on. 

Firmware and instruction files have been compressed. 
The following instructions show you how to download the compressed files and decompress them. 
1. To download files, click [I Agree-Begin Download] icon, select [Save], and specify the directory where you want to save the file. Click [Save] to start the file download. 
2. Downloaded files are saved in the specified folder in a self-extracting format (.exe format). 
3. Double-click the files to decompress them. A new folder will be created in the same folder. 
4. Open the decompressed PDF file. Follow this PDF instruction to start the firmware update. 

Announcements