cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

electric52
Apprentice

I have a Canon ImageCLASS MF8380Cdw combo printer scanner; I've had it since 2012.  The scanner worked through many Windows10 updates right up until May 2019.  When I tried to scan something through MF Toolbox I got the message "A supported scanner cannot be found".

CANON  SOLVED THE ISSUE WITH A WORKAROUND -- but I cannot find again the Canon post to which I can add this reply.  Here's what I did that had no affect on the problem: 1) uninstalled the software program, 2) reinstalled the software program, 3) went to Canon website and downloaded all updates for: firmware and drivers and the scanner patch for the 8380

None of the above efforts fixed the problem.  Then I came across the Canon workaround thank goodness because I can't find it again.  Here what worked for me as I followed Canon's instructions:

> Right click on the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 icon

> Left click on "Properties" at the  bottom of the window

> Select the "Compatibility" tab at the top right corner of the window

> Select the "Change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the window

> Select "Run this program as an administrator" at the bottom of the window

> Click "Apply" and then "ok"

My first attempt at opening the MF Toolbox worked without getting the error message and I was able to use the scan toolbox as I have always used it in the past.

THANK YOU CANON

> Right click on the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 icon

> Left click on "Properties" at the  bottom of the window

> Select the "Compatibility" tab at the top right corner of the window

> Select the "Change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the window

> Select "Run this program as an administrator" at the bottom of the window

> Click "Apply" and then "ok"

That option is acceptable if you want your users to run as Admins on the desktop.  In our environment, we don't.  CANON seriously needs to update this software to keep up with Windows 10's latest releases, or else I'll be forced to go back to HP.

pedropais
Apprentice

Using the patch has worked on all but one computer, which is also the only one using x86 Windows 10. Strangely, scanning on that computer worked well until two/three weeks ago. Did anyone face a similar problem and sorted it out?

I've tried multiple variations of the possible solutions here described, but with no satisfying results. The only "solution" that worked is to run Toolbox as administrador, but that doesn't allow scanning directly from the device. 

sjusch
Apprentice

Had not used the Imageplus D530 for scanning for a quite long time. When tried to use it today and ran into the problem described in this message group. I tried a few approachs described in the group and none of them worked. Eventually, I took the reset approach and it is working now. Let me list the step I took to reset the D530 installation. 

1. Disconnect D530 from the computer

2. Uninstall MF Toolbox

3. From the device list, remove D530

4. Go to Canon support site and downloaded both D530 driver as well MF Toolbox

5. Installed the MF Toolbox and D530 driver

6. Connect D530 to the computer. 

After connecting D530 to the computer, I found that it was automatically added to the device list. From then the scanner started to work.

Did not try variations of the reset approach such as the order of the steps. 

Is there a real solution to this?

I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times.  I even installed the patch file listed, AND set the properties to run as Admin..

I have Windows update TURNED OFF, for this very reason.  I've been screwed over by MS enough to know better.  None of the listed KBs are on my pc anyway.

So... After working great for 5 months, suddenly I started getting the folloiwng error on my ImageClass MF4890dw

FAILURE.jpg

The tool box is...

ToolBox.jpg

No amount of patching, reinstalled, adjusting, or even screaming at MS has fixed this.

Is there a "real" solution anywhere?  I hate think that MS sabatoged my MF4890 and gotten away with it...

is NO REAL solution !

But you can check my solution with virtual machine and Windows 7. For me work perfect for 2 years and I made thousands of scans.

You will find solution one page back on this thread...

Have a nice day,

Dan

@scotty2541 wrote:

Is there a real solution to this?

I've uninstalled/reinstalled several times.  I even installed the patch file listed, AND set the properties to run as Admin..

I have Windows update TURNED OFF, for this very reason.  I've been screwed over by MS enough to know better.  None of the listed KBs are on my pc anyway.

So... After working great for 5 months, suddenly I started getting the folloiwng error on my ImageClass MF4890dw

FAILURE.jpg

The tool box is...

ToolBox.jpg

No amount of patching, reinstalled, adjusting, or even screaming at MS has fixed this.

Is there a "real" solution anywhere?  I hate think that MS sabatoged my MF4890 and gotten away with it...

You say you had Window Updates disabled. Doesn't that indicate that the Operating System is not the cause of the problem? In this case, your OS just sent the message to you that your system is not compatible with the Canon software.

Look at other changes you made to your system.

What software did you add before the problem?

Do you have a Restore Point from before the problem?

Also look at the printer ports and IP addresses for the printer and scanner.

Ummm... Look at the message again. It is NOT the OS telling me the software is not campatible with the system.

It is the TOOLBOX telling me that the software is not compatible WITH THE SCANNER.

Some incompatibility, when some other software felt the need to update a boatload of .NET assemblies or virtual engines or redistributables, and it's broken.   Now, the toolbox doesn't know what scanner it's talking to.  Probably because some WSDL XML got screwed with and the RPCs are all messed up...

Should I systematically uninstall all the apps I installed after doing the initial Windows 10 install?  I tested the scanner when I did the install, and sscnned a few things since then....  Then had other things I need to also install.  (there are literaly 60 apps, 40 of which MS Visual studio products, and at least 8 different "MS Visual C++ 20XX Redistributable ..." )

And that won't do it anyway...  When some app that is tightly coupled to MS's bloatware libraries and drags in MS's updates they don't come out on an uninstall.  Uninstalls only remove the app, they notoriously leave the trail of doo-doo from MS behind.  

So this is indicicative of the crappy direction of the entire software industry...

1.  Jack-asses write apps and just "bull-in-china-shop" cram all kinds of library garbage because they can't think for themselves.  And break other peoples stuff.  (who knows which other packaged crunched this...)

2. Companies write apps that don't work defensively, and suddenly one little think changes and it completely breaks, in this case thinking it's talking to the wrong peripheral.

(In case you are wondering, or can't surmise from my attitude, I don't do any development in C# or Java if I can avoid it... and I don't rely on garbage protocols that change on a whim breaking existing packages)

Since the CANON TOOLBOX doesn't talk to the CANON PERIPHERAL, I expect CANON to fix it.  Not have me spin me wheels guessing what they did wrong by randomly adding and removing things.

-Annoyed.

Ummm

Do you have a restore point or not?

@scotty2541 wrote:

Ummm... Look at the message again. It is NOT the OS telling me the software is not campatible with the system.

It is the TOOLBOX telling me that the software is not compatible WITH THE SCANNER.

Some incompatibility, when some other software felt the need to update a boatload of .NET assemblies or virtual engines or redistributables, and it's broken.   Now, the toolbox doesn't know what scanner it's talking to.  Probably because some WSDL XML got screwed with and the RPCs are all messed up...

Should I systematically uninstall all the apps I installed after doing the initial Windows 10 install?  I tested the scanner when I did the install, and sscnned a few things since then....  Then had other things I need to also install.  (there are literaly 60 apps, 40 of which MS Visual studio products, and at least 8 different "MS Visual C++ 20XX Redistributable ..." )

And that won't do it anyway...  When some app that is tightly coupled to MS's bloatware libraries and drags in MS's updates they don't come out on an uninstall.  Uninstalls only remove the app, they notoriously leave the trail of doo-doo from MS behind.  

So this is indicicative of the crappy direction of the entire software industry...

1.  Jack-asses write apps and just "bull-in-china-shop" cram all kinds of library garbage because they can't think for themselves.  And break other peoples stuff.  (who knows which other packaged crunched this...)

2. Companies write apps that don't work defensively, and suddenly one little think changes and it completely breaks, in this case thinking it's talking to the wrong peripheral.

(In case you are wondering, or can't surmise from my attitude, I don't do any development in C# or Java if I can avoid it... and I don't rely on garbage protocols that change on a whim breaking existing packages)

Since the CANON TOOLBOX doesn't talk to the CANON PERIPHERAL, I expect CANON to fix it.  Not have me spin me wheels guessing what they did wrong by randomly adding and removing things.

-Annoyed.

Ummmm
So you don't have a restore point?
Announcements