Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

Way back on page 3, message 23, Piers_A  's message fixed my problem scanning with a D530.  Thank you so much!

Occasional Contributor

I think this problem is for imageclass printer. What series is that?

New Contributor

D530.jpgIt's an imageCLASS D530.  It's a few years old, printer, copier, scanner.  It's been a great unit.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have a Canon ImageCLASS MF8380Cdw combo printer scanner; I've had it since 2012.  The scanner worked through many Windows10 updates right up until May 2019.  When I tried to scan something through MF Toolbox I got the message "A supported scanner cannot be found".

CANON  SOLVED THE ISSUE WITH A WORKAROUND -- but I cannot find again the Canon post to which I can add this reply.  Here's what I did that had no affect on the problem: 1) uninstalled the software program, 2) reinstalled the software program, 3) went to Canon website and downloaded all updates for: firmware and drivers and the scanner patch for the 8380

None of the above efforts fixed the problem.  Then I came across the Canon workaround thank goodness because I can't find it again.  Here what worked for me as I followed Canon's instructions:

> Right click on the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 icon

> Left click on "Properties" at the  bottom of the window

> Select the "Compatibility" tab at the top right corner of the window

> Select the "Change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the window

> Select "Run this program as an administrator" at the bottom of the window

> Click "Apply" and then "ok"

My first attempt at opening the MF Toolbox worked without getting the error message and I was able to use the scan toolbox as I have always used it in the past.

THANK YOU CANON

New Contributor

> Right click on the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 icon

> Left click on "Properties" at the  bottom of the window

> Select the "Compatibility" tab at the top right corner of the window

> Select the "Change settings for all users" tab at the bottom of the window

> Select "Run this program as an administrator" at the bottom of the window

> Click "Apply" and then "ok"

That option is acceptable if you want your users to run as Admins on the desktop.  In our environment, we don't.  CANON seriously needs to update this software to keep up with Windows 10's latest releases, or else I'll be forced to go back to HP.

New Contributor

Using the patch has worked on all but one computer, which is also the only one using x86 Windows 10. Strangely, scanning on that computer worked well until two/three weeks ago. Did anyone face a similar problem and sorted it out?

I've tried multiple variations of the possible solutions here described, but with no satisfying results. The only "solution" that worked is to run Toolbox as administrador, but that doesn't allow scanning directly from the device.