cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

Hi IslandTractor,

We said it "may" be necessary to rerun the scanning patch again.  If your operating system updates and you are able to scan, then you do not need to run the patch again.  However, if you are unable to scan and the only change to your system was an update, then running the patch again should get you back up and scanning quickly.

If you need immediate assistance and you're in the USA, please click http://Canon.us/ContactCF for our US-based support. If you're outside of the US, please click http://Canon.us/4xf7 for support options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Please note: When I did reinstall the Toolbox app and the drivers for the Canon MF4150 printer, Windows crashed (actually it suddenly reboots). "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error information and then we'll restart for you"  It is fairly quick reboot but it might relate to the problem of getting 32 bit instead of 64 bit drivers from Canon. Once it restarts Win 10 seems to load the right version.

The Canon and MS apps worked afterwards but if you are in the middle of something, you will loose it. I haven't noted any other problems but the coincidence of dates and times of the reboots are statistically significant. This also shows clients that there are obvious incompatibilities between products and software that fall into no man's land that no one is taking any responsibility for.

When you ask Microsoft Community about these sudden reboots, you get this kind of response.

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

"With the issue description, I understand that your Windows 10 computer is crashing and giving critical error messages on it. I will certainly help you in getting this issue resolved.

This issue may occur because of any software conflict or incompatible / corrupt display or graphic driver. Let’s follow the below mentioned steps and check if the issue resolves"

Hopefully, this might give some people a heads up if Windows reboots suddenly after you install the Cannon apps or drivers for the wrong PC configuration.

Don't get caught up in no man's land where one company points to another company as the source of the problem. It will waste your time. Like me, you may have downloaded the wrong file for your system.   

Please note: When I did reinstall the Toolbox app and the drivers for the Canon MF4150 printer, Windows crashed (actually it suddenly reboots). "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error information and then we'll restart for you"  It is fairly quick reboot but it might relate to the problem of getting 32 bit instead of 64 bit drivers from Canon. Once it restarts Win 10 seems to load the right version.

The Canon and MS apps worked afterwards but if you are in the middle of something, you will loose it. I haven't noted any other problems but the coincidence of dates and times of the reboots are statistically significant. This also shows clients that there are obvious incompatibilities between products and software that fall into no man's land that no one is taking any responsibility for.

When you ask Microsoft Community about these sudden reboots, you get this kind of response.

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

"With the issue description, I understand that your Windows 10 computer is crashing and giving critical error messages on it. I will certainly help you in getting this issue resolved.

This issue may occur because of any software conflict or incompatible / corrupt display or graphic driver. Let’s follow the below mentioned steps and check if the issue resolves"

Hopefully, this might give some people a heads up if Windows reboots suddenly after you install the Cannon apps or drivers for the wrong PC configuration.

Don't get caught up in no man's land where one company points to another company as the source of the problem. It will waste your time. Like me, you may have downloaded the wrong file for your system.   

Hi James,
Entered MF4150 but did not get the sequence you mentioned. Also note that this patch is not available at  the canon.ca - website under drivers and support, therefore I missed it.  At the usa.canon.com website  I get Step 1 Support and Drivers, then Step 2 Select Model.   When I click GO  I get the Drivers and Downloads options again. Operating system seems to be automatically selected with the recommended driver. There is also a 32 & 64 bit driver. Does the patch work with either driver??
Thanks.

@James_C wrote:

Hi @al1,

There is a recommended patch to install if you are having issues scanning after upgrading to Windows 10 for the imageCLASS MF4150.

Let's perform the following steps to download and install the scanning patch.  Note:  If Microsoft had an update it may be necesarry to rerun the  scanning patch again.

1.  Visit Canon's website at: http://usa.canon.com/support

2.  Type  MF4150 in the "Enter a Model Name" box and click search.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers& Downloads' link in the middle of the page.

4.  Select "Operating System"

5.  Under the "Drivers" tab section click on the file named "Windows 32-bit & 64-bit] Patch for Network Scan, USB Scan".  After reading the details and disclaimer, click 'I Agree to terms.  Download and save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, double-click the file from its download location to begin the installation. 

Regarding the MG5420, Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

When I go to Apps & Features in Settings, the Canon MF4100 series Icon has "unavailable" underneath it.

Should I uninstall that App before downloading the new patch or install right over it?

Thanks for your help.

Sramic
Apprentice

If you had it working before on Windows 10 but it stopped working after a windows update which happens to me frequently, the way I get it working again is re-install the printer driver.  I just give it a new name, it warns me that this kind of printer is already installed but I install anyway.  After that the toolbox utility is able to find the scanner again.  Might help some of you out there.

jirka88
Apprentice

Hello,

I have problem with install/uninstall MF toolbox on WINDOWS 10 PRO (64bit).I had old version MF toolbox, but uninstall doesn't work. It always stuck at 0%. When installing a new version is it the same problem. My support for the Czech Republic did not give me advice (M. Patrik servis number: 1-19381965087).

Please give me any cleaning program or instruction on how to proceed. I do not want to reinstall windows.

Thank you.

install.png

If you are expecting or wanting any help from Canon on this problem, please disabuse yourself of this hope.  They have been utterly useless on this.  Read the thread and try the various option that users, never Canon, have offered.  Many of us have abandoned MFTools on Win 10 for other solutions, but something in this thread may be of use to you.  I would advise against reinstalling Windows.  It will not help you.  Best of luck to you.

Greetings,

I think I had the same problem at one point and I didn't have to reinstall windows. Make sure you can download all the newest Canon Printer install files for your model printer first because I think you will need them.    If I recall, I finally had to delete all the Canon directories and files and reinstalled everything again for my imageCLASS MF4150 printer using the latest files from the Canon US website. I used files from the Canon Canada website which were not up to date at the time.

I haven't reviewed all the previous posts, but I think I just went to my directory and looked for the directory called "MF Toolbox Ver4.9" It should be under a directory called Canon which is under another directory called Program Files (x86) off your C:\Drive  You might then find the file "Uninst.exe"    Try executing that file first.  It might work.

There was also a directory Program Files - Canon - CanonMF that had some files in it as well. The uninstall may be confused on where to go and hangs up so delete those files. I left the directories. 

If that doesn't work try the deleting Canon directors and files directly and try reinstalling the drivers and Toolbox. I hope it works for you.

nyjoana
Apprentice

I have a MF212w printer.  I have a new computer with windows 10 was having problems with the scanner.  I called Canon customer service and spoke with a very nice and helpful man.  Wfindows 10 wasnt compatable with my scanner and he walked me through uninstallng and reinstalling the new drivers to fix the problem.   My suggestion is to call Canon customer service they helped me and I'm sure they will help anyone with the same problem

Announcements