cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

Tried adding "C:\Windows\twain_32\MF4800" to my path environment variable. Still no luck. Tried almost every solution in the multiple threads. 

If I try to scan from the Scanner --> Computer...  I get the same old "MF Toolbox is not supported on my installed computer. Install the appropiate MF Toolbox". 

Even using all the updated drivers, software, etc. 

Using the 10/28/16 network patch too.  

FSHBpSr.png

Tried uninstalling the security update too

Yes, this solved it for me. Just follow the instructions in the link to put the MF folder under the twain directory into your path and it went fron not working to working. Very poor job on Canon's part. I could understand if the fix is complicated but when it's this simple and your users have solved it for you, it doesn't create a good impression.

markbangkok16
Apprentice

This problem has recurred multiple times and I have spent countless hours repeatedly uninstalling and reinstalling MF Toolbox. I have come to believe the MF stands for two other words.....  I am absolutely sick of dealing with this and the total lack of Canon support.  Tomorrow I will throw the machine int he trash and buy a new system. You can be 100% certain it will NOT be a Canon product.

LCoop
Apprentice

SOLVED for me  - Toolbox working again - for now anyway -

- Hardware - old HP laptop computer (5 years) with recent windows 10 - and 'old' printer MF4320-4350 -

(Summary - disconnect printer from computer (USB) - uninstall current 'old' Canon printer software - install latest software from Canon support website - reboot computer - plug printer back into computer)

DETAILS -

- unplugged the printer from the computer (USB)

- went into control panel uninstall and uninstalled two things: - Canon printer and Toolbox

- went to Canon support - printer MF4350d

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-laser-printers-im...

- down to Drivers & Downloads -

- installed the three items listed there under Drivers and Software - in order of dates - Software "Toolbox" first (dated 9-23-16)

and then the two items under Drivers (dated 10-7-16)

- then computer reboot was called for I think

- plug printer back into computer, USB

- all now working again. (for now)

Lucky you!  My experience is less wonderful.  I got it to work, twice, but each time Win10 does an upgrade it stops working.  The last three efforts on my part to make it work, didn't.  Thanks, again, Canon for your fine support.

I was looking up a problem for my MG5420 and I noticed that this thread on the MF4150 is still going strong.

It is amazing that Canon software experts can't solve this problem. My MF4150 still stops working when there is an ungrade to Windows and it is now March 2017!!! 

With the printer off,  what I do is delete Toolbox. Then I run rerun the setup for Toolbox_4911mf18_Win_EN. This means you have to do your settings again which is a pain. Then I run the drivers again. The one that works for me is MF4100_MFDrivers_W64_uk_EN.  You have to know your PC because MF4150_MFDrivers_W32_us_EN  doesn't work on my new 64 bit PC. 

I suppose I could do the disconnect thing and delete the device, but I have not had to do that myself. 

I also rebooting the computer afterwards, but I should see if it works without rebooting. Next time, I'll do that and there will be a next time!  Trust me.

Now I am off to see why my MG5420 doesn't set up properly. It seems to never end when you have a Canon!  😞

Hi al1,

There is a recommended patch to install if you are having issues scanning after upgrading to Windows 10 for the imageCLASS MF4150.

Let's perform the following steps to download and install the scanning patch.  Note:  If Microsoft had an update it may be necesarry to rerun the  scanning patch again.

1.  Visit Canon's website at: http://usa.canon.com/support

2.  Type  MF4150 in the "Enter a Model Name" box and click search.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click the 'Drivers& Downloads' link in the middle of the page.

4.  Select "Operating System"

5.  Under the "Drivers" tab section click on the file named "Windows 32-bit & 64-bit] Patch for Network Scan, USB Scan".  After reading the details and disclaimer, click 'I Agree to terms.  Download and save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, double-click the file from its download location to begin the installation. 

Regarding the MG5420, Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Does your fix apply to the MF4370DN  I-SENSYS printer also?

Hello gnocchi,

The fix only applies to Canon USA printers.  i-SENSYS printers are not sold in the United States.  For information and troubleshooting assistance, please visit http://www.canon.com and look for the support site closest to you geographically.

" Note:  If Microsoft had an update it may be necesarry to rerun the  scanning patch again."

Why???

I have no other software that requires being "repatched" everytime Windows updates.  Those Windows updates occur automatically about once a month and it is a royal PITA to reinstall the Canon patch each time.  

Is this really the best Canon can do????

Announcements