cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

i have imageclass 4370dn.  the link the canon rep provides does lead you in a little bit of a circle but when i selected on the model imageclass i have, it took me to the 'recommended downloads' tab which listed a file called NetworkUSBScanPatchEN.exe.  this is new.  can't say whether it works as i haven't tried it yet... but it's worth a try.  it's quick & easy to install.

canon.png

Thanks for your suggestion.  I followed your directions exactly, and they were the same steps I took before.  Alas, for my model imageCLASS D530 there is no driver dated 7/7/16.  The latest driver is 6/15/16, that did not work before, and does not have a version number at all, much less the version listed on the support page.

I don't mean to appear ungrateful to Canon, but I would have hoped that if they were going to refer me to a solution they would actually provide the solution at the location they described.

Hi Reba.

You are correct.  The patch is not applicable to the imageCLASS D530.  It is recommended that you uninstall the previous drivers and software, and then reinstall the latest drivers and MF Toolbox software from the Canon website.  

I understand that you have performed this process previously and are still continuing to experience an error.  So that I can best assist you, what is the exact error message that you receive when you attempt to scan a document?

I look forward to your reply.  Should you need immediate assistance with this issue, we recommend that you call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your response.  It's the firs time Canon has acknowledged that my problem is real.

Drivers from the Canon D530 page  were uninstalled and reinstalled successfully.

MF Toolbox will not install.  Ever since I uninstalled the software after my Win10 upgrade I have not been able to install it.  Repeated uninstalls, searches, inclduing registry searches, show no signs at all that any component of MF Tools remain on my system, yet it will not install:

Canon MF Toolbox installation not responding.JPG

I used MF Tools under Win 7 but for the last three months I have not had full use of my MF devide.  Where do I go now?

Reba

i recall install issue happening to me.  uninstall both then reboot then reinstall both as opposed to uninstalling 1, reinstalling that 1, etc.  

can't say whether the reinstall will actually work but hopefully canon will expedite issue for you if it doesn't.  gl.

scott

Thank you, Scott.  I did what you suggested and got the same result: hanging on installation.  I, too, wish Canon would expedite this.

Hi Reba.

Thank you for your response.

To verify if another program may be causing a conflict with the MF Toolbox installation, please place the computer in 'Selective Start Up' mode, and then try the installation again. To place the computer in this mode, please follow the instructions below:

1. Press the Windows key and 'x'.

2. Select 'Run'.

3. In the Run window type: Msconfig

4. Select OK. If the UAC window opens, type in your password and select OK.

5. In the System Properties screen, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

6. Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

7. Click Apply.

8. Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button.

9. Click 'Disable All'.

10. Click Apply.

11. Click Close.

12. Restart the computer.

After reinstalling the MF Toolbox please return the computer to the 'Normal Start Up' mode by following steps 1- 5 from above. However, this time, select 'Normal Start Up' in Step 5. Next, click apply, and then restart the computer.

If you are still unable to reinstall the MF Toolbox, it is recommended that you call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Canon's post (Message 240 on this thread) makes note that they have done some very recent work here (7/7/16).

The following just worked for me on a Color Imageclass MF8580Cdw, which would not scan after the Windows 10 Upgrade.  Note that it is connected to a network by wire.

First I did all this which was posted 08-19-2015 10:36 PM (Message 23 in this thread by Piers_A)

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

(P.S. The "run" box or Command Prompt in windows 10 has moved from its Windows 7 perch.  To find it  click the Windows/Start button  Go to All Apps>Windows System,  Click the little down pointer and it will reveal Command Prompt and Control Panel options.)

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Right click, select Properties
Check that Startup type is set to Automatic
Click Log On Tab
Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.
Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

My scanner still did not work, so I don't know if all the above was necessary to start.

I went to canon.usa support, downloads and entered my printer model which brought me to the following page:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/mf8580cdw?tab...

I had previously installed the updated driver from this page: [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF8580Cdw MFDrivers (UFR II / PCL / FAX / ScanGear) to get my printer connected.  (dated 7-7-16)

I now installed the patch for Network/USB connections: [Windows 32-bit & 64-bit] Patch for Network Scan, USB Scan  (also dated 7-7-16)

After I restarted the computer the scanning software now worked as it is supposed to.

(P.S. Since you may be pretty flustered by the point you get all this done after upgrading to Windows 10, don't forget to set the scan setting on the printer to "remote scanner."  Otherwise your scanner will ignore you.

My thanks to all who posted various solutions which gave me the hope that something would work.  However I must note that my HP Officejet Pro 8610 multi-function set up a lot more easily on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

@Tiffany wrote:

Please take a look at our new Service Notice on the availability of a patch to address an issue that prevents certain imageCLASS models from scanning as a result of updating to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.

Windows Scanning Update for imageCLASS:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Announcements/Important-Windows-Scanning-Update-for-imageCLASS/m-p...

@Tiffany wrote:

Please take a look at our new Service Notice on the availability of a patch to address an issue that prevents certain imageCLASS models from scanning as a result of updating to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.

Windows Scanning Update for imageCLASS:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Announcements/Important-Windows-Scanning-Update-for-imageCLASS/m-p...

Thank you. The other solutions did not work for me, but downloading and applying the patch for my model solved the problem. After applying the patch, I rebooted and the scanner started working right away.

- Mike

dcp
Contributor
Does this patch work when upgrading from Windows 7, or does it just apply to upgrading from Windows 8?
Announcements