cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

Typhoon859
Contributor
Yes, safe assumption.

Typhoon859
Contributor

On Friday, May 27, 2016, Canon Inc. released a Network Scanning Patch for imageCLASS models. This Network Scan patch addresses the issue where the ability to scan over a network will stop working after an update to Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. By installing this patch, future updates on these versions of Windows will not affect your ability to scan using the imageCLASS over a network.

If you are NOT able to scan over a network, you should perform the following steps:

• Uninstall the MF Drivers (which includes the UFR II Print Driver and the ScanGear scan driver).
  • Download and reinstall the latest MF Drivers from the Canon USA website.

Please visit www.usa.canon.com/support and enter your imageCLASS model.

toolbox1.png

• Download and install the Windows 32-bit or 64-bit Patch for Network Scan depending on your operating system.

toolbox2.png

If you are currently able to scan over a network with your imageCLASS, you should still download and run the patch to ensure continued functionality, start at Step 3.

This patch applies to the following models: 

imageCLASS D1520

imageCLASS D1550

imageCLASS MF212w

imageCLASS MF216n

imageCLASS MF217w

imageCLASS MF227dw

imageCLASS MF229dw

imageCLASS MF414dw

imageCLASS MF416dw

imageCLASS MF419dw

imageCLASS MF515dw

imageCLASS MF4570dw

imageCLASS MF4880dw

imageCLASS MF4890dw

imageCLASS MF5950dw

imageCLASS MF5960dn

Color imageCLASS MF624Cw

Color imageCLASS MF628Cw

Color imageCLASS MF726Cdw

Color imageCLASS MF729Cdw

Color imageCLASS MF8080Cw

Color imageCLASS MF810Cdn

Color imageCLASS MF820Cdn

Color imageCLASS MF8280Cw

Color imageCLASS MF8380Cdw

Color imageCLASS MF8580Cdw

Canon understands this will not solve every scan issue at this time.  Canon is still investigating this Windows scanning issue and will be releasing more updates in the near future.  Please stay tuned for further updates.  Sorry for any inconvenience.  Thanks for your support!

If you are still having issues scanning with an imageCLASS device over the network, please contact us for support at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

josemiguel
Contributor

Thanks everybody. I downloaded the new software and, surprise, still, it does not recognize the installed Canon MF 4700n.

Any ideas?

chrisrk
Apprentice

1.  Right click the Windows Start Button and select Run.  Alternately, you can hold down the Windows key on you keyboard and press the R key.

2.  Enter (services.msc) without the parenthesis.

3.  Scroll down and look for Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

4.  Right-click on it then select Properties.

5.  Select the "Log On" tab.

6.  Select the radio button for “Local System account”.

7.  Check the box for “Allow service to interact with desktop”.

8.  Click OK.

Vayda
Apprentice

Well. This sucks. Using my Color ImageCLASS mf8580Cdw on win10 to scan... not working.

I tried the patch, no dice.
I tried the run>services.msc, also no dice.
I tried using the remote scanning feature, also also no dice.

I'm thinking I might just connect it via a wire, unless anyone has any updates or other things to try. 🙂

Thanks!

This method worked for me:

1.  Right click the Windows Start Button and select Run.  Alternately, you can hold down the Windows key on you keyboard and press the R key.

8.  Click OK.

After all of the different methods found amungst the forums....This solution finally worked for me. I'll have plenty of chances to test it out over the next couple weeks as all of our company computers 80+ have been being updated to win 10 and all have a cannon mf4450. Hope it works for the others.

@chrisrk wrote:

This method worked for me:

8.  Click OK.

Patch did nothing for me. Updated the drivers + installed the patch.

services.msc was already checked under the that setting as well. 

What's weird is I have 2 windows 10 computers on the network. ON one computer the scanner works... on the other I keep getting the

"install the appropriate mf toolbox" error.

I think this is getting buried at Canon with nobody taking responsibiliy. They open tickets, give us the standard fix (reload drivers, etc.), then close the tickets. Blah, blah, blah....

Does anyone know the name and contact info for the Canon CIO? If so, we should all call and email him about this problem.

Someone at Canon needs to engage with Microsoft and pay them for 4 hours, 8 hours, etc. consulting time to troubleshoot and fix this problem. There is something fundamentally wrong with Canon's implementation on Win 10 that they cannot remedy on their own. Surely other printer manufacturers do not all have this problem!!

There is a fix out there! Please Canon... pay Microsoft for some consulting time!!

Mike J.

Announcements