cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

"What I find astonishing is that there is not a single Canon tech support comment in this entire thread." 

Why should there be?  This is a user forum, not Canon technical support.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

IslandTractor
Contributor
Why should Canon respond???

Well, for starters this is their forum. We use it but they own it and it is clearly here only because it benefits their business.

Secondly, other similar boards do receive direct support from the mother company. Ford for example hosts many user groups that operate semi independently but Ford staff monitor the discussions and step in to help when they can.

Thirdly, given the frustration generated by this Toolkit Windows 10 incompatibility, it would clearly be in Canon's best interest to resolve the problem rather than allowing multiple customers become frustrated and walk away to give their business to a Canon competitor.

If Canon is going to set up this type of volunteer tech support system it really behooves them to monitor it and provide assistance when a year after a question was posed there still is no clear solution.

dcp
Contributor
I sent a link to this Forum to Canon by email today. Will be interesting to see if I get anything more than a Robo reply.

Why is this market as "Solved" when obviously it's not?

Waiting for an official solution dear Canon. We don't wanna buy a new printer on every windows upgrade. Thank you

dcp
Contributor
Canon did respond to my email referring them to the link for this forum. Their response was that the issue is to complex to handle by email, and that I should phone them.

I phoned them. The Tech Support Rep advised that Canon had released new Drivers recently which have addressed the problem. I said that I still was reading of problems on this forum, so I still was not confident that the problem had been resolved and that I would wait until I see confirmation that their new Drivers have fixed the problems.

Has anyone had a good experience with their new Drivers?

IslandTractor
Contributor
Regarding Canon phone support, I spent an hour on the phone with them earlier this month. After several downloads and reinstall action, they couldn't get the problem solved and referred me to Microsoft. No joy.

IslandTractor
Contributor
Reinstall action = reinstallations

Thank you autocorrect!😝

Typhoon859
Contributor
Yes, try doing it in safe mode.

I will try that and let you know.
thank you

I'm assuming you had this issue?
thank you,
Announcements