08-03-2015 04:18 PM
I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility. I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine. After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:
I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.
1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.
2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:
I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.
I've also tried various other things without success:
- Connecting via USB instead of Network. It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.
- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox. It uses the WIA driver. It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.
Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap. I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.
(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)
Solved! Go to Solution.
10-05-2015 04:45 PM
Thanks. My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.
Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode. Otherwise the uninstaller just hung. Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.
02-18-2016 09:14 PM
i came across a document called "Windows 8_Notice_ENG.pdf", which is in canon's extracted driver install package for windows 10. it states the following:
"This driver software supports Windows 8 with some limitations. For instructions and explanations on using the driver
software with Windows 8, please see the procedures and descriptions for Windows Vista/7. The following limitations in
functionality and precautions have been discovered when utilizing the driver software in Windows 8. Be sure to read the
contents described below carefully before using the driver software.
[Precautions During Operation]
Be sure to switch to the desktop when performing the following procedures:
• Installation and uninstallation of the driver software
• Changing detailed settings of the driver software *
* Please note that some of the settings that are specified in the desktop may not be reflected depending on the Windows
[Limitations During Operation]
When using the scan function while the device is connected to a computer by USB, removing the USB cable and then
plugging it back in or turning the device off and then on will cause the scanning function to be unable to execute. If this
occurs, please restart the computer."
...which can be summarized as 'if you connect to the imageclass via usb and have issues while trying to scan, reboot your computer and try again'. hopefully they'll fix this 'limitation'... but don't hold your breath.
02-19-2016 12:46 PM
Rebooted today and the Scan app does not work again.
Looks liek I will have to uninstall and reinstall the Canon ImageClass each time I want to scan something.
Do other manufacturers have success operating with Windows 10? I'm ready to jump.
02-19-2016 01:05 PM
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Folks, it is never going to work right again. You have to admit it. Bite the bullet. The MF TOOLBOX in windows 10 is a broken record. You need to move on now. Not wait, not reboot. It is sad to see so many people trying to fix the unfixable, again and again. Canon just dropped the ball on this one and moved on. Not a biggie to them. They have other scanners, printers, cameras, etc. to sell. They will not fix old tecnology.
So, little Cowboys and Cowgirls, you need to move on to the next rodeo.
03-19-2016 08:49 PM
Simplest Fix is use "Windows Fax and Scan" Application.
Works perfectly for flatbed and feeder modes.
Click "Windows" icon, select "All Apps" and scroll down to Windows Accessories.
Then click and scroll down to Windows Fax and Scan.
Window opens w/various pull-down menus, scan options, file name for saving, etc.
All the features you need are there...just takes getting used to. You can pin that link to your Start Menu.
"New Scan" brings up the page w/options, preview, etc.
Profile lets you choose photo vs document, and add a new profile w/default settings, etc.
Color, B&W, grayscale and TIFF, BMP, JPG and PNG types supported.
Uncheck the small box that says "Preview or scan separate images as separate files."
Otherwise each "item" it groups in the scan window will become an isolated image. Run PREVIEW first to see what things look like. Then run scan when it's what you want.
02-21-2016 08:37 AM
02-21-2016 09:31 AM
I binned my Canon and bought a Brother MFC8510dn. Works faultlessly on Windows 10, Linux and from Android. To my shame one of my daughters is an iMoron and she can print to it fine.
I can scan across the network too. Obviously I can print across my LAN.
The Brother seems to have come with a proper amount of ink, not like some manufaturers I could name who put about 1 cc of ink in as "starter".
The print and scan quality are excellent.
I had one question about the Linux setup (I'm Linuseless as I only use it for one application) and the (UK) help people were excellent.
I have no connection with Brother.
I hope that helps.
02-26-2016 11:27 PM
I followed the directsions of Piers_A on page 3 of this thread (http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Office-Printers/MF-Toolbox-doesn-t-work-on-Windows-10/td-p/147893/... It is quick, easy, and it worked fine as soon as I rebooted.
My MF4450 scanned perfectly when I upgraded to Windows 10 very recently. The most recent update from Microsoft killed it for me.
03-20-2016 04:12 PM
I tried the solution of Cburg 1-28-2016 with slight modification. The keys are to uninstall in safe mode and unplug USB cable.
1. Delete any previous MF Toolbox downloads
2. Turn off printer/scanner and unplug USB cable
3. Start Windows 10 in safe mode, control panel, programs, uninstall MF toolbox
4. Restart computer in normal mode
5. Download MF Toolbox from Canon website
6. You get a Toolbox File folder and a 10, 208 KB file (application). Don't open the application. Go to the file folder and open Setup application (2079 kb)
7. MF Toolbox will install and an icon will appear.
8. Connect USB cable and turn printer/scanner on
9. Click on the MF Toolbox icon and a box will appear. Go to settings, Button Settings, and choose Scan 1, click OK
10. Click on icon for Scan 1. Choose settings. I scan as JPEG to a desktop folder.
After I spent several frustrated hours with other solutions, the scanner is now working. Thank you, Cburg.
03-20-2016 05:24 PM
Forget MFToolbox and use the free Windows-10 "Fax and Scan Application".
It does the same thing as MFT, and supports many more paper sizes for the feeder. No hassel w/uninstall/install stuff. Dump MFT altogether.
Set SCAN to Remote Scanner, then run Fax and Scan, select New Scan and respond to prompts in the settings window where you can also set up a new customized scan profile to use and make life easier than MFT ever did!
03-28-2016 03:21 AM
OK, I tried all the suggestions noted on this topic and here are the results:
1) Windows Fax and Scan Will ONLY work for me if the MF Toolbox is properly installed. So, if that is the case, why would I use that instead of the Canon MF Toolbox? Besides, unless I am missing something, the Windows Fax and Scan will only produce photos (JPEGs, TIF, etc) not a PDF.
2) The Windows Scan that comes with Windows 10 does NOT work at all. Can't find the printer.
3) I followed Sudstattler's instructions on the 3/20/2016 post ant it WORKED but, when I unplugged the copier or turned it off and then re-connected it, now it goes back to not working again.
In a Google search I found VueScan on Download.com and it WORKS! However, the free trial version puts Watermarks all over the document until you purchase it. I am reluctant to purchase it because I read quite a few negative comments about it. What if it doesn't work after I purchased it?
Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
03/02/2023: New Firmware Updates Are Available:EOS R7 - Version 1.3.0EOS R10 - Version 1.3.0
2/07/2023: New product announcements!EOS R8 EOS R50RF-S55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STMRF24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STMRF15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM
Canon U.S.A Inc. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or part without permission is prohibited.