cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

iggytwo - thank you for your suggestion, it works perfectly for me.  I have Canon D1150, Win10pro x64 with all updates.  Tried the "new" driver files and MF toolbox files.  No help - MF Toolbox was still having problems correctly operating the scanner.  It sort of partially worked, but could not run the feeder among other problems.   But Ending Task for the WIA and letting it restart on its own really worked!!!

I use a program called Mastercook and when the Nov W10 update came out, the program couldn't print to any printer.  They worked with Microsoft and developed a fix for their version 15 only, as Microsoft suggested they would fix the problems they created with the update - but I wouldn't hold your breath.  Seems quite a few programs (maybe with older calls and code that didn't keep up with current Windows requirements) were affected. 

Anyway, working fine with this fix!  Thanks

Thanks Iggytwo ... this was the only fix that worked for me  in Win10 on my MF4100.

-------------

In start menu, search for Services. Find "RPC (locater)" file. Make sure it is running--not on manual. "Start" it.

Then restart PC. Next, make sure all apps are off and that your Canon MF toolbox is closed. Open task manager (contrl/alt/del). Expand to "see less" so you are seeing everything. Go to "Windows Processes" section. Find "Service Host: Windows Image Acquisition." Don't hit the left arrow to expand it. Just click to highlight it. Then "End task.

" Check "abandon data." "Shut down." Exit task manager.

NOW--set your MF4150 to scan. Put your doc in. Open your MF4150 toolbox on PC. IT WORKS!

"Service Host: Windows Image Acquisition." Don't hit the left arrow to expand it. Just click to highlight it. Then "End task." post from gevaltech

Tried it and it works....BUT as soon as the computer is restarted the Scan program will not work again.  ARGGG.

JulesD66
Apprentice

I've tried most of the solutions proposed on this forum to no avail. Then I tried to run MTFBOX.exe in compatibility mode. W8 didn't work, W7 either. But XP did! And constantly.

XP being abandonware for Microsoft, one can hope they won't mess it up in the next update. I still don't understand how can people choose smartphone with windows on it. They must be masochists.

My config : 

Win10 64 (french), ToolBox_4911mf16, last drivers from Canon

polloywolly
Apprentice

I dowloaded the new driver. You can find it here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-laser-printers-im...

it worked. 

Windows Dell PC Inspiron 620 Windows 10 HOme edition.

So far so good

Paul

Dreamsharer
Apprentice

I had the exact same problems. Everything worked fine with the first tips for months, when it comes to entering all the firewall rules manually and so on. Then one day, suddenly some Win 10 update or something messed everything up. I don't know. Tried to fix it what seemed to be a zillion times, in the end I tried to run the toolbox from a different computer. To my (not so) great surprise, everything worked just fine with the toolbox mf 17 version that Asia servers had published some time ago. In my frustration, I turned back to the broken PC and just ran some basic built-in Windows 10 troubleshooters. The first two options yielded no result. (Compatibility mode and one other (rather obscure) involving scaling/resolution I think.) But when the troubleshooter tried to run it as administrator (specifically), everything suddenly worked, for no apparent reason. Up until that point, I had been able to find my computer and get toolbox to load, but none of its buttons worked until the admin was in the seat. All of this should not be necessary, the first tips in this thread worked just fine until a few days ago. I use my scanner regularly. The problem just came into existence out of seemingly nowhere.

Hope running as administrator works for someone else as well.

Photogimp
Contributor

Had this issues multiple times now.  sferrell615 has the right idea.  (See post 2/13/2016).

I might suggest:

1. System restore from prior to last Windows 10 update
  2. Start in Safe mode to unfreeze the un-install and re-install of MF Toolbox.

Both have worked for me (for a while).

Don't forget to disconnect USB before uninstalling / reinstalling printer drivers / reboot and plug USB to printer back in only after the drivers are re-installed.

Very frustrating Microsoft and Canon.  There is a revolution brewing.

The suggestions here are geting more and more like the incantations of cargo cult members, and about as fanciful.

Since Canon are clearly not interested the only solution is to embrace another manufacturer. If you value your time at more than a couple of dollars/pounds/euros per hour it's the only rational thing to do.

GARO
Apprentice

Hello,

I live near PARIS in France.

I updated Windows 10 in last july and after, MF TOOLBOX CANON SCAN doesn't work. I made a lot of tests but the result were the same : MF TOOLBOX CANON SCAN doesn't work.

But two weeks ago, i configured a rule in the firewall of my Bitdefender antivirus software to accept the MFTOOL BOX and MFTOLBOX was OK immediately. It wasn't necessaary to installe MFTOOLBOX sofware again.

Since ten days, I have been scanning without problème.

Regards

GARO

Tried the Firewall access.  No go.

The error message I get when trying to use Toolbos is "Supported scanner not installed..."yada, yada, dada 

Yet the printer works, the scanner works with Microsoft Scan app and with Windows Fax and Scan.

Does that indicate to anyone that the issue is with the software / drivers from Canon?  

This effects a large number of different Canon models apparently.  Is the same thing happening to other brands?  

I would like to know who to press on this issue. Microsoft?  Canon?  Who?

I'm tired of each company passing off problems onto the other in a circle jerk with the paying customer being the jerked. Come on.  Solutions!

Announcements