cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

Thanks Piers_A, I can use scanner.

But still is nor perfect because when i finished scan, I can not switch from SCAN to FAX or COPY on my printer, when I use cancel, nothing happend, on windows 7 after I finished scan switch work.

Problem with MFT I have on computer, where I install upgrade from windows 7, another computer with clear instalation Windows 10 MFT work.

Canon i-SENSYS MF8380Cdw

markbangkok16
Apprentice

This remains a MAJOR problem for thousands of users. Canon PLEASE correct this problem with the MF Toolbox scanning function and Windows 10.

Do we know if this is a Canon problem or a Microsoft problem?

"Do we know if this is a Canon problem or a Microsoft problem?"

My Canon MP640 color inkjet stopped functioning after a major Windows 10 update.

At the same time, a new app appeared in the MSFT app store that restored full function.

It would seem that either MSFT or Cannon could do the same for my MF4150 by creating a new app to restore full functionality.

PhilLeBon
Apprentice

I add exactly the same problem on my side.

Canon, help !

P

@mj1856 wrote:

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

I have the same problem like PhilLeBon.

Everything was working while on Win7-64-bit.

Now MF Toolbox utility Scanning does't work after Microsoft upgraded my Win7 to Win10.

I cannot uninstall MF Toolbox 4.9 either. It stucks PhilLeBon.

I think many people have this same issue.

Canon please help us.

dcp
Contributor
I had the same thing problem, and after many failed attempts at fixing, I restored my computer to Windows 7, then reinstalled everything from backups. With all the updates and reboots, this took a couple of days. Very frustrating!!

That very sad dcp. I would hate to go back to Win7 from Win10. As I understand... Canon needs to fix this issue to support
latest OS of Win10.

I actually was able to resolve my problem. Now I can scan and print with a networked printer/scanner from my Win10. No issue. I think the problem was the firewall in Win10 didn't allow MF Toolbox 4.9 to connect to the printer for scanning (getting data back from printer to PC).

Here is how I solved it:
1) Uninstalled all printers
2) Tried to uninstall MF Toolbox 4.9 (but it failed. Got stuck)
3) Rebooted the PC
4) Installed Printers (took the latest driver from Canon site for Win10 64-bit). While installing selected all checkboxes. Allowed it to modify Firewall setting as need.
5) Once completed MF Toolbox 4.9 can scan now from Win10.

if that was the case then you should have just needed to disable your firewall.  btw, it'd help if you mentioned who your firewall is thru.

i had previously fixed this issue by restoring my computer to a time prior to dec. 4th which a lot of people mentioned the 'major' windows update had caused them this same issue.  

my computer must have updated, because i'm experiencing this issue again.  i disabled my mcafee firewall but i still can't scan.  

wmi service was running.  i set it up as suggested (log on, recovery, etc.).  i restarted it.  still nothing.  

i tried running it in compatability mode in windows 7 and xp (sp3).  still nothing.

rebooted.  still nothing.  

did a system restore to a system critical update on the 20th.  still nothing.

did a system restore to a language pack removal on the 17th.  it now works again.  

no response from canon on this?!?!

Announcements