cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

I had the same issue; Piers_A's solution outlined here worked for me.  Thank you!!

Piers_A  (Simple Fix / 08-20-2015) Thanks for your sollution. Seems perfect. After 3 months no more troubles.

Hey-- i actually tried everyones advice.. i even uninstalled and reinstalled me entire printer.. then i went to cannon and just looked and i follwed this link and bam. it worked. 

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART115076

The only difference is after i followed their instructions when i was ready to scan i had to click on the toolbox icon and it worked 

SORRY - this reply was intended for Piers_A and Captret.

Many, many thanks. I entered the changes you recommended and it worked not only the first time but I’ve been using it for the past week without a problem.

Like I mentioned earlier the fix worked for me.

Windows 10 did an automatic update on my PC yesterday and it caused the scan function to fail again on my printer .  The update reset the defaults in the WIA. I used your (captrep) instructions and the scanner worked again.

Good to know that about update. I will have to watch for that!
I don't scan alot so I may have forgotten! Now I will keep that in mind.

The update was a huge one. It took 20 - 30 minutes, showed the circle with percentage completed and rebooted several times. Its possible that a small update would not effect the scan function.

@Piers_A wrote:

This simple fix I found online worked for me:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

This worked for me with my ImageClass MF4150. I can now scan to a PDF.

Thanks very much!!!!!!!

Has anyone installed an OCR program after using this fix?

Piers_A ... THANK YOU to you and all who discovered this before you (and no thanks to Canon)!!!

I spent hours trying to make my MF6590 scan like it was designed to again, trying almost everything meticulously down to the last detail... then spent about 1 minute on this fix and everything works perfectly.  My printer only scans by usb connection and I can even plug and play my usb cable, even though Canon says that I can't.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!  I just hope more people see this fix first instead of spending hours on it like many of us.  🙂

QUITE POSSIBLY THE ONLY MF TOOLBOX SCANNER FIX YOU NEED:

@Piers_A wrote:

This simple fix I found online worked for me:

Start> in the run box type. Services.msc

Scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)

Right click, select Properties

Check that Startup type is set to Automatic

Click Log On Tab

Check that Local System account , and Allow service to interact with desktop is checked. Hit apply.

Click Recovery...Click on window next to First Failure, Scroll to Restart the Service. Hit apply.

...and thank you again!  I'm just so excited to be able to use my scanner again, especially since this all-in-one has treated me so well over the years... but seriously Canon, if you want me to keep buying your awesome products you really need to do better on the support side of things.  There are much less expensive options out there, we are paying top dollar for a top quality product and expect top quality support when we need it.

Thanks a million Piers_A, now I can scan again! Also, I'll add that if you use a Local Windows account, you'll need to change the Properties in the Administrator account.

Announcements