cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF Toolbox doesn't work on Windows 10

mj1856
Apprentice

I have a MF4570dn, and recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

I can no longer scan using the MF Toolbox utility.   I had MF Toolbox 4.9 installed before the upgrade, and it worked just fine.  After the upgrade, I get "Cannot communicate with the scanner" error dialog:

Error1.png

I thought I would try to reinstall the MF Toolbox utility, but there are two problems.

1) The downloads page shows no downloads for Windows 10 for this printer. This should be updated.

2) I downloaded the one for Windows 8.1, and tried to reinstall, but it just hangs at the "Processing Installation" screen:

Error2.png

I've also tried to uninstall the existing MF Toolbox first, and it also hangs at this same dialog.

I've also tried various other things without success:

- Connecting via USB instead of Network.  It detects the scanner, and MF Toolbox can switch to that device, but it still gives a communications error.

- Trying the built-in Windows Scan app instead of MF Toolbox.  It uses the WIA driver.  It barely starts to scan, then immediately cancels.

Please Canon - forward this to your engineers and provide a fix asap.  I cannot use my scanner on Windows 10.

(I can use the printer functionality just fine.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks.  My model's links are different, but the new software appears to work.

https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/imageclass_series/imageclass_...

Also, to get the old toolbox uninstalled, I had to reboot into safe mode.  Otherwise the uninstaller just hung.  Then booted back into regular mode, removed all traces of the existing printer, then reinstalled the new software and it works great.

View solution in original post

435 REPLIES 435

Just to let people know, I got the "can't communicate" error message and Toolbox wasn't working. 

Based on past experiences, I had updated my Outlook 2016 application so I figured something changed. Perhaps it was a Win 10 upgrade that I didn't notice.

Anyway, re-installed:  Toolbox_4911_mf18_win_EN  - got a different error message. Don't panic. Smiley Happy

Re-installed the driver file: MF4100_MFdrivers_wk64_uk-EN   -  Toobox is back working again.

If some MS app is updated, Toolbox always seems to be affected for some reason.

al1
Enthusiast

@al1

As of 2018-03-07

Window 10 Updates of Intel Corporation Driver Updates or some other update seems to have given me the ScanGearMF message again for MF Toolbox. 

Ran setups described below and it is working again.  Don't forget to reboot.

Canon ScanGearMF.png

Re-install:  Toolbox_4911_mf18_win_EN  

Re-install driver file: MF4100_MFdrivers_wk64_uk-EN   

-  Toobox is back working again.

Toolbox seems to be affected with some Win 10 updates.

jdcrown
Apprentice

I have the same exact issue. I can follow the instructions in this post to reinstall and turn off/on, etc. It will work a few times, but then the next day same problem. It's intermittent.  It worked perfectly under windows 7. Now when I upgraded to windows 10, it is not working consistently. Please fix this. I don't want to switch to another brand of printer.

Had to reinstall windows 10, and all the extra programs...had problems with the MF8280Cw scanning to computer. loaded the new driver and I eventually installed the old MF Toolbox and with a few tricks got it to scan. after a restart the system crashed again.

By going into safe mode and unistalling this printer, will this do the trick. It took over 4 hours to get Windows 10 back in order, there was no way of going back to windows 7....what a mess.

Would appreciate help. I love this printer, but maybe should re-invest in a new one?

Thanks

jdm
Apprentice

Nothing worked for me, so I finally downloaded NAPS2 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/naps2/) which is free and can scan into pdf.

The UI is nice and simple. I hope this message will help those looking for a free alternative to MF Toolbox on windows 10.

Selles
Apprentice

Sollution of Piers_A worked for me, exept...

MF Toolbox give's an error report after copying second time at the ADF. Platen glass no problem.

I have to switch from ADF to Platen glass, start scan platen glass, cancel scan and return to scan on ADF.

Can you help me?

Selles
Apprentice

Solution of   Piers_A   really worked for me, exept...

MF Toolbox give's an error:   after scanning second time at the ADF.    Scanning on platen glass is no problem.

I have to switch from Scanning at ADF to scanning on platen glass, then start scanning on platen glass, cancel scanning

and then return to scan on ADF.  Crazy isn't it?

Anyone,  Can you help me?

tarekbaj
Apprentice

no its not Solved !!!!

nahabze
Apprentice

Hi Just scrolled thru the responses.... I have an MF216n, (My rig is 64-bit Home) and had the same problems that everyone here has stated. My fix was to follow previous suggestions - go to and uninstall the MF Toolbox and re-install it individually from the disk. Go to services.msc and check settings for windows image acqusition service. Made those suggested changes too.

That part of the fix did not work, so I re-started my computer, and then went to the installation disk>Drivers>us_eng>x64 setup...there is a 32-bit choice as well. That brings up the Setup Wizard for the MF Drivers. Choose Next>Yes>Choose your connection (Mine is Network)>Next>Select drivers. At this point I only selected the Scanner Driver, and unchecked the Printer and Fax drivers. Next>Confirm Settings>Start, which then installed the driver. That worked. I haven't restarted my computer yet, but I will after I finish this post.

I'll come back to this post if it is not working after a restart. Otherwise, presume it's working so far...

PREVIOUS POST

Hi Just scrolled thru the responses.... I have an MF216n, (My rig is 64-bit Home) and had the same problems that everyone here has stated. My fix was to follow previous suggestions - go to and uninstall the MF Toolbox and re-install it individually from the disk. Go to services.msc and check settings for windows image acqusition service. Made those suggested changes too.

That part of the fix did not work, so I re-started my computer, and then went to the installation disk>Drivers>us_eng>x64 setup...there is a 32-bit choice as well. That brings up the Setup Wizard for the MF Drivers. Choose Next>Yes>Choose your connection (Mine is Network)>Next>Select drivers. At this point I only selected the Scanner Driver, and unchecked the Printer and Fax drivers. Next>Confirm Settings>Start, which then installed the driver. That worked. I haven't restarted my computer yet, but I will after I finish this post.

I'll come back to this post if it is not working after a restart. Otherwise, presume it's working so far...

POSTSCRIPT TO PREVIOUS POST

Still working after restart...

This time I went to one of my other machines running Win 10 X64 Pro. At first, I opened the MF Toolbox from the dektop icon, and got the error message again. I decided not to uninstall everything this time to see if the earlier procedure would work without a restart. Behold and Lo... it did work on the Pro machine too.

It suggests that going to the disc and then reloading the driver directly from the driver file on the disk, then using the Driver Setup wizard and not just the entire setup routine might be an alternative approach. I did not make any other changes to the WAI files via Services either, so I guess I'm satisfied that the appropriate driver is not getting installed on first install.

For MF216n users, I did go their support website where I found drivers dated 11-11-15: http://bit.ly/1UG4w11  ( the entire URL is way to long to post) which may be later than the ones you have.  I'm sticking to the disk though, since it has now worked twice for me on 2 flavors of the Win10 OS. Good Luck!

POST POSTSCRIPT

When I restarted the Pro machine, it went to a Windows Update (not major).... still working so far....

Announcements