cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LBP251 printer New printer driver version 10.19.1.

HMW
Contributor

I contacted Canon on this via Canon Professional Services, for which I pay an annual fee to help cover my $50,000 worth of cameras, lenses and large format printers. Canon recently updated the Driver for the LBP251 to version 10.19.1. This was a huge step backwards! With most applications I can no longer print to both sides of the page. The printer is much much slower than with the previous driver.  I am hoping someone can send me the previous driver, which worked perfectly.  I am running five Apple Macintosh computers, OSX v10.14.6.  Sure would like some help with this annoying problem.  Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Darius
Whiz

Hi HMW.

Driver version 10.19.1 was superceded earlier this month by 10.9.2.  This should correct the issues that troubled you from the previous driver update; let us know if the problems persist.

LBP251dw Drivers & Downloads page

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for sending the link to the updated driver.  This new driver has not fixed all the problems.  Unlike with the older version driver, I still cannot print on both sides of a sheet from a PDF file.  I can print both sides from some other application files.  The printer is also still very slow compared to when using the older driver. The older driver would send a print message and almost immediately print the document.  This new driver has a pause of 5-10 seconds before the printer begins to print.

I also cannot print to both sides of the page when using Safari v13.0.5.  This was never an issue with the old driver.  Sure would like to see a quick fix on this.

Hi HMW.

I'm sorry to hear that the updated drivers didn't correct the problem.

If you haven't yet done so, check the LBP251's wireless network status; ensure the printer's WiFi signal strength is at least reporting as Good.  Low signal strength may result in delayed printing, and environmental conditions that could impact the may have changed without any obvious signs.

<Menu> >> <Wireless LAN Settings> >> <Connection Information> >> <Wireless LAN Status>

Regarding two-sided printing, some programs and apps feature altered or proprietary print interfaces (such as Google's Chrome browser and Adobe products).  If using such a program, you may need to check that interface for its duplex/two-sided options.

Regarding Safari, check the print sub-menus for a "Printer Features" submenu, and verify whether Duplex Printing is enabled there.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Darius, thanks for the response but unfortunately none of your suggestions provide a resolution.  The printer is connected via a USB hub to my hard wired (Ethernet) network, so, WIFI is not a factor.  Regarding your other suggestions, why did the older version of the driver work flawlessly with all of my applications, but now the new one is a mess?  I have installed the latest driver, which you suggested, on five different Mac computers and am having the identical problems with all five Macs. This includes two Mac Books, two iMacs, and one Mac Pro. Clearly, there is something drastically wrong with the latest version of the print driver.  

I understand the interface with all the applications very clearly.  I have been running Macs in my photo business since 1986 and at one time was an Apple Certified Developer.

Is there any way I can simply get my hands on the older driver so we can all put this behind us?

Mark Weidman

Hi HMW.

The "USB hub" connection to a network could explain the issue; USB to Network tends to require greater Bonjour/Airprint support, or a print server as an intermediary.

The LBP251dw features its own Ethernet port, and is able to act as its own print server when connected to a network. Try connecting that directly to your network, either through an Ethernet hub, a network switch, or a router with switch capabilities (Cat 5e or 6 cable required). 

Additionally, when installing the printer, do NOT share the printer across the network; it is already broadcasting, and "Sharing" will force the computer to use Bonjour/Airprint drivers rather thant he Canon-produced drivers.

Thanks for the additional infor Darius.  Actually, the LPB251 was wired via USB cable to a high quality wireless router, which also has a USB port.  Per your suggested I removed the USB connection, and replaced it with a cat6 Ethernet connection from the LPB251 to an Ethernet switch. I did not have the printer "shared" on the network.  

Well, that seemed to do the trick, and fixed the immediate problems. I have only tested 2 of the 5 computers but will test the others later today. After making this connection change and Deleting then Adding the printer, the Print Dialog Box seems most like the older driver version one, and is distinctly different than the one I was seeing with the USB connection. Why would the Print Dialog Box change based on the hard wire connection type? 

If I find continuing issues when I test the other 3 computers I will let you know. Thanks for your help with this.  Mark Weidman

Announcements