cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient privileges to install Canon MF414DW

keebcanon
Apprentice

Hello!

We have 5 new computers for which I'm trying to install the drivers for the scanning capability, but it won't install.

I keep getting the following error:

"you do not have sufficient privileges to install the program. Log on again with administrator privileges"

All 5 users are administrators.

I've right clicked on the install folder and chose 'run as admin'.

I've done the same to the actual driver install file.

I've checked security measures and nothing is blocked.

I can print to that printer.

The function we need is to scan from the machine to a specific folder.

It's currently set up from the 'old' computers to do that.

These are new HP laptops with Win 10 business version 1909 build 18363.836

The printer is the MF 414DW.

Cheers,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dcfitz
Apprentice

I had the exact same problem and found only one way to fix it.  It just takes a few minutes.

-Go to Manage Your Account>Other Users

-On the right, click on Add someone else to this PC

-Select a new log on and then make sure you grant it Administrator Privileges (You may have to create it and then go to Modify and grant the Admin).

-Restart you computer and log on with that ID.

-Run the Software and select "Shared Printer".

Restart with you original log-on and you should be able to scan to it.

You can then go in and delete the new Log-on you created and the printer will still scan.

The above looks harder than it is...it is really quite easy.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

pgreen
Apprentice
My solution was simpler. Since I already had administrative privileges, I guessed the problem was that the "setup" program mostly runs several subsidiary programs, and just because you run setup as an administrator doesn't mean that the subsidiary programs run that way too. Instead, I opened a command prompt as administrator, navigated to the folder where setup was located, ran it from there, and it worked. Presumably, that meant that everything that ran in that command box, including the subsidiary programs, was running with administrative privileges. In the interest of full disclosure, I actually was installing the drivers for an MF8580Cdw, but I have had this problem with multiple Canon printers.

Yeah, unfortunately this didn't work for me with the MF4880dw drivers on Windows 11 Pro. (Azure AD joined)  I'm logged into my Windows 11 laptop with Active Directory creds and I did all the same stuff everyone else has probably done.

1. Run as Administrator SETUP.EXE
  2. Run with Elevated Access (Endpoint Privilege Management)
  3. Run in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 w/ Run as Administrator
  4. Run As Administrator Command Prompt

They all resulted in the "You do not have sufficient privileges to install the program.  Logon again with Administrator privileges." 

Curiously, "dcfitz"'s technique of creating another completely separate account (local, Microsoft account, whatever), granting it Administrator privileges, logging into that on the laptop, installing the drivers with a "Network Connection" (where it miraculously works) and then switching back to my AD credentials-based profile on the machine worked.  All the installed/discovered network printers showed up in both accounts.

The issue appears to be the 3rd party installer that Canon used:  It looks like a version of InstallShield from the Cretaceous era of personal computer (~2005? :-)) & it looks like Canon used the default installer template. The installer could easily be stepped up & reassembled with Flexera's newer InstallShield 2021 at the very least to avoid this rights-elevation problem for ring 0 stuff but I don't think there's any incentive to do so... given that this printer is 10 years old. (2011-2012)

@kurtsh wrote:

The issue appears to be the 3rd party installer that Canon used:  It looks like a version of InstallShield from the Cretaceous era of personal computer (~2005? :-)) & it looks like Canon used the default installer template. The installer could easily be stepped up & reassembled with Flexera's newer InstallShield 2021 at the very least to avoid this rights-elevation problem for ring 0 stuff but I don't think there's any incentive to do so... given that this printer is 10 years old. (2011-2012)

@kurtsh Great analysis on this issue.

However, I won't let Canon off the hook because this issue impacts printers that are still for sale (MF642CDW in my case), that should be incentive enough to support your customers and upgrade the installer.

On top of that Microsoft is actively trying to nerf local accounts in newer versions of windows. Does that mean that this local admin method will eventually not work either? Come on Canon, the user community figured it out and provided the fix. Please update your installer!

mparker
Apprentice

Azure AD joined machine, user accounts on the machine are Administrator and Global Administrator and none of these accounts can install the MF642cdw, MF743cdw driver packages.
This is unacceptable! Canon blames Microsoft Permissions and over at Microsoft they blame Canon installers!
I personally believe this to be a CANON issue as the administrative permissions are properly set on over 200 machines in the organization! 

You cannot expect an IT Admin to manually create local accounts for 200 users just to install a printer driver! That is unacceptable Canon!
Every driver from every other manufacturer works with Azure AD joined machines. Yet Canon wants to blame the permissions?

If you choose the USB option it has no problem installing the driver. Yet it obviously stops when it cannot locate a USB-connected device.

When you choose the Network option it is supposed to open up holes in the firewall to allow the driver to communicate with the printer yet stops you at the error message "Insufficient privileges to install Canon MFxxxCdw driver.

Please get this fixed as it is truly a problematic issue! It is obvious there are many people trying to get this to work and "RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR" should work yet doesn't. Run as an alternate user should work yet it doesn't!
We are not dealing with local accounts we are dealing with Corporate machines joined to AZURE AD

A new computer, with Azure AD and I can't install the driver. Canon, please, solution for this bug!!!!!!! 

It's definitely a Canon issue. No question about it. Given how inadequate Canon support is and has been for 20+ years, it's not surprising they point the fingers at others, much like IT companies did back in the 1990's. Lazy arses.

HPTC
Apprentice

I can confirm that this is a problem with Azure AD joined devices. Canon's installer is not compatible with Azure AD permissions. The solution as outlined above is to create a local admin account to install from. A lot of unnecessary trouble because Canon hasn't fixed their software. 😫

I have the same problem with my local AD.
Printer Canon 446x.

allenlau
Apprentice

I have the exact problem installing MF4890dw.  The only way I can get the driver to install is login as a LOCAL administrator account which I had to enable.  None other local account nor Azure AD accounts work.  Very annoying.

travisclodd
Apprentice

I am using a MF642cdw and enabling a local user account does work to install the driver but it brings up a bigger question: does Canon even listen to it's users? 

Seriously Canon, it's May 30th 2022 and it is still an issue. This issue has been open since June 1st 2020 - That is 2 years ago. It is really annoying as an SysAdmin to have to install this under a local admin account when every other printer manufacturer does not seem to have any issues. Canon has great product's but they are hampered by a bad driver installer.

Announcements