cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient privileges to install Canon MF414DW

keebcanon
Apprentice

Hello!

We have 5 new computers for which I'm trying to install the drivers for the scanning capability, but it won't install.

I keep getting the following error:

"you do not have sufficient privileges to install the program. Log on again with administrator privileges"

All 5 users are administrators.

I've right clicked on the install folder and chose 'run as admin'.

I've done the same to the actual driver install file.

I've checked security measures and nothing is blocked.

I can print to that printer.

The function we need is to scan from the machine to a specific folder.

It's currently set up from the 'old' computers to do that.

These are new HP laptops with Win 10 business version 1909 build 18363.836

The printer is the MF 414DW.

Cheers,

Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dcfitz
Apprentice

I had the exact same problem and found only one way to fix it.  It just takes a few minutes.

-Go to Manage Your Account>Other Users

-On the right, click on Add someone else to this PC

-Select a new log on and then make sure you grant it Administrator Privileges (You may have to create it and then go to Modify and grant the Admin).

-Restart you computer and log on with that ID.

-Run the Software and select "Shared Printer".

Restart with you original log-on and you should be able to scan to it.

You can then go in and delete the new Log-on you created and the printer will still scan.

The above looks harder than it is...it is really quite easy.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Darius
Whiz

Hi keebcanon.

The first account on a Windows computer is typically limited in power, even though it will commonly be listed as "Administrator."  Additionally, as work computers, they may be pre-setup to give authority to a networked IT or Admin account in the workgroup.  There is nothing Canon-side that can preempt administrative privileges or lack thereof.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Darius. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I'll follow up with our IT person. I'm under the impression that this admin account is the full deal, but I could be wrong.

I'll post back with any results we may have for anyone else possibly encountering this issue in the future.

Cheers,
Brian

"Nothing Canon can do" response is wholly inadequate and unacceptable.  I bought a Cano imageCLASS MF445DW and cannot install the MF Drivers though I am the Administrator, the 1st account on this W 10 Pro 64-bit Dell Laptop.  There is no workgroup, no IT support - it's my personal and work laptop.  Tomorrow (Mon. Feb. 1) if Canon Tech Support doesn't fix ir pronto, I'll send it back for a full refund.  Period.

"There is nothing Canon-side that can preempt administrative privileges or lack thereof."

I think the problem has been misidentified and thus, incorrect courses of action are suggested. It isn't a lack of administrative privileges as most people I see looking for help are indeed administrators. I'm a domain admin and I can't do it.

Canon has made a poor installer with obscure requirements that no other manufacturer has.

dcfitz
Apprentice

I had the exact same problem and found only one way to fix it.  It just takes a few minutes.

-Go to Manage Your Account>Other Users

-On the right, click on Add someone else to this PC

-Select a new log on and then make sure you grant it Administrator Privileges (You may have to create it and then go to Modify and grant the Admin).

-Restart you computer and log on with that ID.

-Run the Software and select "Shared Printer".

Restart with you original log-on and you should be able to scan to it.

You can then go in and delete the new Log-on you created and the printer will still scan.

The above looks harder than it is...it is really quite easy.

On what device?

I can verify that the above instructions work.
Basically, create a new account and make that Administrator.
Login as that additional Administrator-enabled account and run the MF4880dw driver installer.
Setup the printer via "Network Connection" instead of "USB". (You don't need to make the printer a "Shared Printer")
Log out or switch User Accounts to the original account.  You should see the printers set up. 

Time to update this answer. It's dated and not useful. 

dcfitz
Apprentice
Follow the above instructions and it works well. I know it is frustrating but it worked for me and I love the printer now.
Announcements