cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageClass LBP6230dw laser Wireless not recognized on Mac Mavericks

Juney
Apprentice

Hello,

First time Canon purchaser. Just got my new ImageClass LBP6230dw wireless laser printer. Connected to my Mac OSX with Mavericks operating system. Downloaded required software from Canon online. After installing everything, all printing works perfectly (recognized in print utility when USB is plugged in... however, when I unplug the USB port, the print utility shows printer now OFFLINE or sometimes it is not even recognized - therefore cannot print anything because it no longer shows.

I want to print wirelessly.

I have everything setup in regards to my wireless setup assistant - all network wifi-address is correct, WPA security is set, etc.

Also, the wifi blue light on the printer remains lit when I unplug the USB so that is okay. But cannot figure why unplugging the USB cable into the computer port is problematic.

Help appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Juney.

I will be glad to assist you.

It appears that the drivers may have installed for a USB connection. May I have you reinstall the drivers for a network connection, and then follow the instructions below to register the printer in the [Printers & Scanners] queue?

1. Open [System Preferences], and click [Printers & Scanners].

2. Click the [+] icon.

3. Click [IP], and then select a print protocol from [Protocol].

4. Enter the IP address of the machine to [Address], and then select [Select Printer Software] from [Print Using].

5. Select the LBP6230w from the driver list, and then click [OK].

6. Click [Add].

7. If the Optional Settings screen appears, specify the optional settings, and then click [Continue] or [OK].

8. Check that this machine is added to the [Printers & Scanners] dialog box.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If the issue persists, or you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I already got it to work the other day before your post. Everything works perfect.

June

How did you get it to work?

I have gone round and round with Canon with this problem. I install the software, get it to work wirelessly on my Apple Airport Extreme network using El Capitan. I leave it alone for a few days. I try it again and it doesn't work wirelessly. There's a bug in their software. I don't know what it is but it hasn't been fixed yet. C'mon Canon. Solve this please. 

Is your printer going into hibernation mode?  Use your own wireless router, not one from your Internet Provider, to assign a fixed IP address to the printer. 

The only way I could get around waking up the printer from hibernation was with a hard wired connection, a network cable.  It seem to me that using the wireless connection is most useful if you turn the printer on when you get ready to use it, and turn it off when you are done.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for that reply.

"Is your printer going into hibernation mode?"

I don't know. How could I tell?

"Use your own wireless router, not one from your Internet Provider, to assign a fixed IP address to the printer."

How is that done? 

FWIW I turned the printer off and on again. It shows it's on the network by the blue light blinking and then going solid. It still doesn't work wirelessly. I am using the Apple Airport Extreme router, not the one provided by the internet provider.

@ Canon for a moment, fixing these kinds of issues are difficult to solve for regular users. It would be great if the proper settings were built into the network and driver installation programs.

I called Canon support and got help with the issue. Hopefully the fix lasts. I was able to use the network setup tool app, select wireless LAN connection, confirm that yes, I want to configure network settings, continue to the next screen, select custom setup, continue, only IP address settings for printer, continue. It found my printer, including the IP address, continue. I selected manual settings and entered that IP address. It also asked for subnet mask and gateway address. The support rep told me to go to the Apple logo top left of the screen, select system preferences, network, advanced, TCP/IP tab. I selected that and it displayed the subnet mask and gateway address numbers. I entered those in the network setup tool and selected Set. That seemed to setup a permanent IP address for the printer. I've used it several times and it works. Will it last a day, two days, a week? I will report back. We'll see. Ping me by replying to this thread if you don't see a follow-up, and I'll let you know.

The fix doesn't last. I'm back where I started. I tried to print wirelessly to my printer, which has remained turned on and got the familiar error message that the printer is not responding. I don't know what else to do.

I forgot to mention that I tried turning the printer off and on again. That didn't work either.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements