cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageCLASS MF744 Cdw - Can you still print in Black & White if all Color Toners are empty?

jlaroche
Apprentice

I'm looking into purchasing an ImageCLASS MF744Cdw printer to replace a Ricoh AIO we are not satisfied with. Despite having a high capacity black toner cartridge with plenty of ink, we have to fight with our printer to print in B&W if even one of the color toner cartridges is empty. To make things worse, we live in an area where getting replacement cartridges for the printer is very difficult.

And here is our issue:
We've read a lot of material on this MF744Cdw and it seems like a great printer, BUT we need to be absolutely certain we don't end up in the same situation. We want to know for sure if you can easily print in Black and White if the Black toner cartridge is full and any (or all) of the color toners are empty.

I hope someone can please help because I called Canon sales last night and talked to 3 people who couldn't answer the question, then got transferred to an "expert" and was waiting on hold FOR AN HOUR.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Iconoclast
Contributor

I just typed a long reply & it erased itself?!  short answer probably YES. preset to 'B&W only printing.' get nag screen warning quality & must select print anyway. I have ImageClass MF 634Cdw

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

In most cases, I am inclined to say no.  Here's why.

Printing in B&W doesn't mean that only black ink or toner will be used.  The definition of black is the presence of all colors.  White is the absence of all colors. 

If you want to ensure you can always print in black, buy a monochrome (non color) printer.  If you need to print both color and B&W, you'll need to have ink or toners available should one or the other become depleted.  In general, this true for all manufacturers, not just Canon.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Iconoclast
Contributor

I just typed a long reply & it erased itself?!  short answer probably YES. preset to 'B&W only printing.' get nag screen warning quality & must select print anyway. I have ImageClass MF 634Cdw

Announcements