cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set DPI for scanning on MF634Cdw?

dsc07
Apprentice

I've got a MF634Cdw.  When I run the MF Scan utility from my computer and scan a document in black & white, it scans @ 300dpi per the settings and pdf the image is fine.  If, however, I scan from the menu on the printer, it scans at a much lower resolution and the pdf generated looks terrible.  A color scan looks fine, it's just the black and white scan that's bad.

I've looked all through the console settings and can't find anything that changes the scan resolution when launched from the panel on the printer.  The MF scan parameters are set to 300dpi, but it only works when initiating the scan from within MF Scan.  Can someone point me to where I can set the default DPI for initiating scanning from the printer console?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have a look at the user manaul for your device:

http://pdisp01.c-wss.com/gdl/WWUFORedirectTarget.do?id=MDMwMDAyNjgzMDA1&cmp=ABR&lang=EN

Starting on page 279.  It is not possible to specify a higher resolution (DPI) from the printers home screen.  You must use the MF Scan Utility.  The printer also supports custom scanning profiles, but these have to be created in the Utility and saved.  The sections starting at page 279 and 301 "Scanning More Clearly" should help. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Rick.  I've already read the whole section on scanning in the manual.  I don't see anything in there that says "It is not possible to specify a higher resolution (DPI) from the printers home screen".  Can you point me to the page# or section that explains that?  

I don't necessarily expect to be able to set it from the home screen, but since the printer launches MF Scan to do the scanning, I expect it should honor the settings in MF Scan.

Hello dsc07.

Finer control over the MF634Cdw's operation panel scan settings may be found in the second tab of the MF Scan Utility settings.

MF Scan Utility second tab

The settings may need to be changed separately for each computer to process the incoming scan data.

If you need immediate assistance with this issue, please contact us using the numbers and information at http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Darius.  I've been playing around with it and I think the real issue is that the black and white scanning on this printer kinda sucks.  It's tolerable at 600dpi, but I guess the solution is to always select a color scan, which looks fine.

Can you tell me which settings are used for the scan on outgoing faxes?  If I'm faxing a B&W letter, will it use the B&W scan or the color.  If it's B&W, I'd like to make sure it uses the maximum resolution so it's legible.

Thanks,

dc

Hi again dsc07.

The MF634Cdw is only capable of B&W faxing.  Fax resolutions and their respective settings terms are as follows:

• <200 x 100 dpi (Normal)>

• <200 x 200 dpi (Fine)>

• <200 x 200 dpi (Photo)>

• <200 x 400 dpi (Superfine)>

• <400 x 400 dpi (Ultrafine)>

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements