cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print a single envelope on a Canon MX922

Andy5215
Apprentice

I'm trying to figure out if there is an easy way to print single envelopes without having to take all the paper out of the lower tray, readjust the guides for an envelope, print the envelope, readjust the guides for full size paper, then putting the full size paper back in the lower tray. 

I'm thinking that I will have to buy a 2nd lower tray if I can't get this problem resolved.

40 REPLIES 40

keninapex
Apprentice

Yes, the upper tray can print envelopes, but it is very limited on envelope size. I believe that the upper tray cannot print business size (#10), which is the size I need to print most often. My previous Canon handled a large number of envelope sizes from its rear tray, without having to disturb the paper already loaded. That is the capability I miss.

Yes! I feel the exact same way! Not sure what they were thinking...or maybe that was the problem. Not thinking. : (

Agreed.  Canon obviously doesn't care what anyone thinks about their products.  Much noisier than previous versions, keeps asking to change ink tanks when there's plenty in there (of course, that sells more ink; just keep pressing "ok" to print until it's obvious you need to change a cartridge).  Latest is that buying a Canon combo pack of cartridges doesn't include the CLI-251 BK cartridge.  That you have to buy separately!  I couldn't believe it, so called Canon and they confirmed.  What nonsense!

karcarljw
Apprentice

Ditto to everything everyone says.  I too had an MX870 which got fried in a huge storm so I had no choice but replace it with an MX922, seriously lacking in fairly obvious features.  For shame Canon, why did you have to mess with success?

roitoolman
Apprentice

Nothing worked for me using the top envelope tray.  I'm on a mac, and there is no selection in the printer driver to deliver paper from the envelope tray.  I tried everything, and every time the dam thing jammed with the envelope stuck in the bowels of the printer.

I eventually wound up emptying the bottom tray and setting the guides for the envelope using just one envelope.  The envelope tray on this printer is a useless appendage.  It's like this product went out the door without final testing of this function/feature. 

Another frustrating thing about this printer is that it sits there churning, huffing, and puffing for minutes before it finally decides to print.  From a software point of view, this product is a failure.  How about some firmware and software upgrades, Canon?

DaveP
Apprentice

Yes... pure frustration is how I'd describe it. The old printer had a rear tray that handled Legal size paper and envelopes. This printer, the MX922, does not have a means of handling Legal size... Not a huge deal, but a problem for me nonetheless. The biggest problem, though is printing envelopes:

Remove all paper from the lower tray

Move the paper guides in to hold the envelop

Print and cross your fingers that the envelop doesn't jam somewhere inside.

Only took me 4 tries to get this done today. Finally succeeded, but not without a bit of swearing and troubleshooting while trying to remove the envelope from somewhere inside.

As nice a printer as this is, printing envelopes is a pure PITA. And, forget printing on legal size paper!

markymarc99
Apprentice

If nothing else, buyers should be warned about the most poorly planned feature on this model printer. It was recently purchased and when I typed a letter today, I wanted to print the address on the envelope from MS Word, which is usually a very simple process. Not so with the Canon MX922. Here's the only way to print a single #10 envelope on this printer, each necessary step by step:
1) Remove the bottom cassette tray
2) Remove all of the paper from the tray. (It holds about a half a ream.)
3) Place the envelope in the center of the tray flap facing up and to the left.
4) Slide the paper guides together to center the envelope.
5) Replace the paper cassette back into the printer
6) After printing the envelope, remove the paper cassette.
7) Spread the paper guides.
😎 Reinsert the paper back into the cassette
9) Adjust the paper guides to center the stack of paper that had to be removed.
10)Replace the paper cassette and slide it all the way back into the printer.

Every other printer, including other canon models has a way to simply print an envelope when needed. The process to accomplish this on this printer is not only ridiculous, should you wish to print an envelope; but it made me feel silly trying to imagine how any one could design a printer in such a crazy fashion to perform a simple popular task.
Too bad I didn't know before I purchased it that I have to remove all the paper from the tray whenever I print an envelope on this printer!

jerboe
Apprentice

Well, silly me. I was happy with my MX860, so when I stepped "up" to the MX922, why bother checking reviews first? My mistake. The rear tray feed was so convenient, not only for envelopes, but also for photo paper, which did not have to undergo severe bending to get it under the print head. Canon ought to issue a recall for all MX922s to have rear trays added (goofy idea), or, give those of us who purchased one a really good discount on the next printer that returns this much-used feature to us (much better idea).

scrappydeb
Apprentice

I just got this printer to replace my MX892 after the dreaded B200 error. This looked like the most comparable one available, and I've been very happy with the 892. I thought I did my research, and this got pretty good reviews/ratings and was the right price. It didn't even occur to me until I was setting it up that it doesn't have a rear feed!! I pretty regularly print onto heavier cardstock and use the rear tray for that.

I probably would have just lived with that, but the first few times I tried to print, I kept getting a "paper out" error - even though there was paper in the tray. I had to pull the tray out and re-align everything, making sure the paper is JUST SO in the paper guides, and then it worked. I can tell this is going to be a PITA! Luckily, the store has a 15 day return policy, so this is going back. Not sure what I'll get.... I like that I am familiar with the Canon interface, but if I can't find a Canon that is truly a "newer version" of the 892, then I'll look at other brands.

What a disappointment. 😞

I asked about this recently and this is all I received in response:

Thank you for writing to us regarding your PIXMA MX922.  I can appreciate how frustrating this is and I will be happy to assist you.

The most current units have a cassette in the front.  For specifications on the current line, you can use the link below:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PIXMA MX922.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Christine
Technical Support Representative

It seems Canon has eliminated the rear paper feed in all new models?

Announcements