cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print a single envelope on a Canon MX922

Andy5215
Apprentice

I'm trying to figure out if there is an easy way to print single envelopes without having to take all the paper out of the lower tray, readjust the guides for an envelope, print the envelope, readjust the guides for full size paper, then putting the full size paper back in the lower tray. 

I'm thinking that I will have to buy a 2nd lower tray if I can't get this problem resolved.

40 REPLIES 40

markymarc99
Apprentice
If nothing else, buyers should be warned about the most poorly planned feature on this model printer. It was recently purchased and when I typed a letter today, I wanted to print the address on the envelope from MS Word, which is usually a very simple process. Not so with the Canon MX922. Here's the only way to print a single #10 envelope on this printer, each necessary step by step:
1) Remove the bottom cassette tray
2) Remove all of the paper from the tray. (It holds about a half a ream.)
3) Place the envelope in the center of the tray flap facing up and to the left.
4) Slide the paper guides together to center the envelope.
5) Replace the paper cassette back into the printer
6) After printing the envelope, remove the paper cassette.
7) Spread the paper guides.
😎 Reinsert the paper back into the cassette
9) Adjust the paper guides to center the stack of paper that had to be removed.
10)Replace the paper cassette and slide it all the way back into the printer.
Every other printer, including other canon models has a way to simply print an envelope when needed. The process to accomplish this on this printer is not only ridiculous, should you wish to print an envelope; but it made me feel silly trying to imagine how any one could design a printer in such a crazy fashion to perform a simple popular task.
Too bad I didn't know before I purchased it that I have to remove all the paper from the tray whenever I print an envelope on this printer!

I have owned 6 Canon printers and the MX922 will be the last Canon I ever buy!  It is the worst piece of office equipment I have ever purchased.

roger911
Apprentice

Have you found a way to actually purchase a second tray? So far I haven't been able to buy one.

You might be able to purchase one from Canon or from a supplier of printer parts but I am guessing that it would be cheaper to just buy a new printer.

Why didn't Canon design the top tray to print envelopes?  

When I asked about other printers that can print envelopes, I received this response:

"All of MG and MX series printers can print single envelopes. Of those printers the PIXMA MG2920 has a rear feed."

I need to follow up and see if any other models might have a top tray that can print envelopes.

So apparently there are printer models that do  what I want:

"The printers in the PIXMA series that have 2 paper trays are all like the MX922 in that envelopes only feed from the same tray that holds Letter sized paper.

The printers in the MAXIFY series with 2 paper trays may work better for you. You can put envelopes in the top tray and keep Letter paper in the bottom tray. The models that allow for this are the MAXIFY MB2320 and the MAXIFY MB5320."

The MB2320 is $69.99 at Amazon and is eligible for Prime.

I think I will return my MX922 and get this one.

rmallett
Apprentice

I just printed a #10 envelope without removing paper from the tray.  I just pulled out the tray far enough to place the envelope, face down, on top of the stack of paper.  I centered it by eye, pushed the tray back in, and the envelope printed perfectly.

rmallett
Apprentice

Sure - just pull the lower tray out a few inches, place the envelope face down on top of your paper stack, centered.  Slide the envelope back until it hits the stop - make sure it's centered and straight (I put a small red dot dead center on the grey paper guide with a Sharpie to give me a visual cue, but it's easy to eyeball it).  Close the tray and print!  I just got this printer a few days ago and have printed several envelopes using this method.  It works perfectly.  Quick and easy without having to remove the paper.  I use the same method to print "deposit only" info on the backs of business checks I receive.  Much easier than on my old Epson printer with a rear paper feed.  On the Epson, I had to adjust the paper guides on the rear feed to fit the envelope or check, select "print", choose rear paper cassete - when I'd hit "okay", the window would minimize, so I'd have to open the document window again to select "print."  With the Canon, I just open the tray a little, place the envelope/check in the center, hit "quick print", and I'm done.

y2kjohnson
Apprentice

I figured out how to print a single #10 envelope without having to remove paper from the bottom cassette.  In my example I used MS Word.  Set up the paper size in Word to 5x7 printing in landscape mode.  The 5x7 size will trigger the paper to draw from the upper cassette.  You need to lay out the address and return address on the 5x7 page but there is enough printable space to make it work.

I know #10 envelopes don't fit into the upper cassette - or do they?  Turns out if you set the paper guides to the 5x7 size and the width to match your envelope you can fit a single envelope into the cassette even though it overlaps the paper guide and onto the frame of the tray.  Just be careful as you insert the tray to keep the envelope against the far end of the tray.  Once the paper is into the printer there is enough space above the frame of the tray to accomodate the envelope

Clearly its a tight fit and its a hack but it works and overcomes a major shortcoming of this printer.  This is a single envelope only solution but for many of us that is enough.

A shame that Canon has forced us to go to these lengths to simply print an envelope when they could have designed the upper tray to accomodate an envelope.

Announcements