cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to create the print image. Canceling printing in Free Layout plus

indigoimagelab
Contributor

Whenever I try to print anything in Free Layout plus, I get the same message right before it prints:

"Failed to create the print image. Canceling printing."

This happens whether I'm trying the Free Layout or Tiling features within Free Layout plus. More info: Printer: Canon ImagePROGRAF PRO-4000 on a LAN. Computer: Win10 with 16GB RAM and a GTX 1080 video card. Latest versions (2019) of Photoshop and Illustrator, but Free Layout plus refuses to print *anything*, even if I send it a print job from my browser.

No matter what I do, the same message appears. I have tried uninstalling Free Layout plus and reinstalling it. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Canon printer drivers. Nothing helps; the same message appears. This appears when I print from any application: a web browser, Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP.

Everything else prints perfectly. Printing from Illustrator, Photoshop, and all other apps is flawless. The only problem is Free Layout plus refusing to print anything. I have installed the latest Canon drivers. The printer is only three months old. I have installed the latest version of Free Layout plus.

I contacted Canon Support a few weeks ago, and they reproduced the problem on their machine. The Canon customer support rep installed the same Canon software and bingo! The same message appeared on his screen, too. He said he would escalate it.

A day later, I got a message on my voicemail from the same Canon support rep, asking me if the images I were printing had layers, and how large the images were. But, I'm so frustrated I never tried to call him back. He never left me his name, his phone number, his email, or any other information that would permit me to contact him back. The images are small. There are no layers in the images. Everything is printing fine except for Free Layout plus.

It's so frustrating that it prints such a cryptic, unhelpful message: "Failed to create the print image." Why did it fail? I can't find anything online to help me. Free Layout plus was one of the reasons why I purchased this printer for my business. I'm also frustrated that Canon reproduced this error on their machines weeks ago and nobody has contacted me back with any information at all.

Could somebody please help me? I don't know what to do! Canon?

---
Neil
Indigo Image Lab, Inc.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good news: it works now! I see that they posted an updated print driver, dated 12/22/18. I completely uninstalled the printer and printer driver, and Free Layout plus, rebooted my computer, installed the new driver and Free Layout plus after downloading them, and the error message is gone. I've tried doing some test prints in Photoshop and Illustrator, and all is well. Thanks for reminding me to check the print driver page!

---
Neil
Indigo Image Lab, Inc.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

"I'm also frustrated that Canon reproduced this error on their machines weeks ago and nobody has contacted me back with any information at all."

"A day later, I got a message on my voicemail from the same Canon support rep, asking me if the images I were printing had layers, and how large the images were. But, I'm so frustrated I never tried to call him back."

Looks like they did contact you - you decided that their question wasn't going to help you.

seems like there are two options: 1. give Canon a callback and see what they can do, or 2. wait until someone on the forum reads your post, has the same problem, and can offer you a solution.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Here's more info: the Canon rep's voicemail was more of an instruction than an invitation to call back. He never gave me his name, his email address, his phone number, or any other way to contact him back. No ticket number was assigned. I received no email or anything from Canon that would permit me to follow through with them on this. The rep never asked me to contact him back. He just asked me about layers and the size of the images and hung up.

But, on our long phone call previously, he already knew that the problem was happening on every app on my computer, not just in Adobe apps. When he reproduced it on his own machine, I thought he understood that this problem wasn't the result of massive files or many layers, and that I would be emailed a ticket number or something.

I may give it another shot after the New Year and hope I get lucky!

You are correct in your assumption that I'm hoping another member of the Canon community can help me. If you have any ideas, I'd be forever grateful!

---
Neil
Indigo Image Lab, Inc.

What was the method of your first contact to Canon. When i have called them they ask my name and phone number - that is how the track the issue.

If you call back on the same number you used for the first contact I suspect they will have a log of the interactions.

Maybe one of the mods will see this thread and jump in.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I contacted them by telephone. I am hopeful they will have a log and will come up with some kind of solution.

---
Neil
Indigo Image Lab, Inc.

More information: I just discovered that Free Layout plus works without an error message when selecting "Free Layout" under the "Layout" tab of the Canon PRO-4000 print driver dialog box that appears when you select the Canon PRO-4000 as a printer. But it will not print (and displays the same error message) when selecting "Canon Free Layout plus" as a printer in the Printer Setup portion of the Photoshop "Print Settings" dialog box.

---
Neil
Indigo Image Lab, Inc.

maybe it is related to this note:

2018-12-30.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Good news: it works now! I see that they posted an updated print driver, dated 12/22/18. I completely uninstalled the printer and printer driver, and Free Layout plus, rebooted my computer, installed the new driver and Free Layout plus after downloading them, and the error message is gone. I've tried doing some test prints in Photoshop and Illustrator, and all is well. Thanks for reminding me to check the print driver page!

---
Neil
Indigo Image Lab, Inc.
Announcements