cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAX calls not being received

The_Hat
Contributor

I have a Maxify MB5020 Multifunction Printer and a Telephone with a built-in Answering Machine. When I first setup the machine using Easy Setup I selected that the "Device was to be used on a telephone line that is shared between FAX and Voice Calls". Additionally I plugged in the Line Cord from the wall to the Line Terminal on the Printer then connected a telephone cord from the EXT terminal on the Printer to the Telephone/Answering Machine. I used the foregoing procedure because it was the one specified in the Setting Up - Easy Setup https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/WebPortal/MB5300%20series/EN/FSG/fsg-top.html 

I was under the assumption that using the described setup when either a Fax call or a Voice Call came in the MB5020 would automatically distinguish the type of call and route it accordingly. That is not happening on my MB5020. When a Fax call comes in the call is routed to the Answering Machine after 4 rings and the Fax is never Received. If I return to Easy Setup and select "FAX only" a FAX call will be received but Voice Calls are not. In this case a Voice call is treated as a FAX call and instead of routing it to the Answering Machine after 4 rings it sends out a Fax tone after 2 rings.

Is there a solution to this problem? By the way I'm using a VOIP line.   

3 REPLIES 3

normadel
Authority
Authority

Having a fax and a phone share one telephone number has ALWAYS been a tricky and often unsuccessful effort. I attempted this "many" years ago and gave up. Sounds like nothing has changed.

There is a service called Efax (efax.com) that I briefly used years ago. What they do is provide a fax number for people to send to, and efax sends you the fax message via email. No need for a fax machine with a dedicated phone line. at all

noramdel

Thanks for the reply.

I used my MB5020 for many years on a analog telephone until about 2 months ago when I switched to VOIP. Since then I can send faxes but I have been unable to receive them.

According to Canon I should be able to transmit and receive if I set the machine up with the line cord fro the wall to the Line terminal on the Fax machine, then the Telephone/Answering device line cord from the EXT terminal on the Fax machine to the Telephone/Answering. It does work with that setup. Even if you use a telephone splitter at the wall terminal and plug both devices into the splitter I can still transmit faxes but cannot receive. I have a friend that has a Canon TR8520 and another friend with a Canon PixMa_MX420 and they are experiencing the same problem as I am.

It looks like this is a problem unique to Canon machine because when I talk with Brother and Epson Users they are not experiencing such a problem. I see no reason to go to Efax when Canon Multifunction Printers are advertised to work on a VOIP line. I've always used Canon Multifunction Printers in the business with much success however it looks like they haven't successfully transitioned from Analog to VOIP.

Because I'm well past the 30-day Free Tech Support Period Canon wanst to charge me for any additional support. Since my friends are experiencing similar problem I thought I would try the Forum to see if anyone here had experienced a similar problem in the past however it looks like that answer may be No.

If I'm unable to find a solution with my Canon machine it looks like I may have to transition to another manufacture. Efax along with similar types of services are not an option for me however I sincerely thank you for replying and offering a solution.

Hello,

If you are having problems with the fax picking up faxes automatically while in Tel priority, you can try adjusting the settings for Manual/Auto switch and User-friendly RX. The settings will be for the number of rings the fax will take to pick up and if the fax picks up automatically when it hears fax tones.

The MB5020 was not designed for use with VOIP but, it will usually work. If switching over caused issues with fax reception and adjusting the settings for Tel priority did not resolve the issue, I would suggest contacting our support team at 1-800-652-2666 or in chat from our Canon USA support site between 8am - 8pm eastern. Phone support is available for free well past 30 days and you can check your support options from your MyCanon account. Our agents would be happy to assist with the issue to see if there are any other settings can be adjusted or what might be causing the problem.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements