cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

D1620 not printing from manual tray automatically

vegaskao
Apprentice

I'm having trouble printing using the manual print tray by default with this printer. With my old ImageClass 4890dw, the printer would print automatically from the manual tray if there is paper inserted at the tray. The D1620 does not do that. It does not print automatically from the manual tray if there is paper inserted. I have to go to printer setting each time to change the paper source in order to print from the manual tray. Am I doing something wrong here?

5 REPLIES 5

Patrice
Whiz

Hi vegaskao.

If you are using the same size paper in both the cassette and multi-purpose trays, then it is recommended that you set the program to print from the desired tray. For example, if you are using Microsoft Word, then it is recommended that you adjust the paper source in the printing preferences. To do so, please follow the instructions below:

1. Click File > Print.

2. Click Printing Preferences or Printer Dialog.

3. In the print dialog box, click the Paper Source tab. 

4. Select Multi-purpose Tray, and then click OK or Apply.

If you are using different paper sizes, then you will need to adjust the paper settings on directly on the machine.  

If you have any further questions about the paper settings, please call us at 1-800-OK-CANON (652-2666), Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

How do I set up the 2nd tray to print automatically.  I print a lot of documents daily and I just purchased this printer.  I need to be able to print letter and legal size paper automatically.  Please help.

Hi jsmith71.

First, you'll want to set the paper size for each of the trays (Letter for one tray, Legal for the other).

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3409-zz-SS-enUS/contents/SS525_basic_0081.html

Next, set auto paper source by size in the printer's menu:

https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-3409-zz-SS-enUS/contents/SS525_basic_0086.html

If you're printing on Windows, then, in the printer's driver (Printing Preferences), you may set the driver to select paper differently for first/last/other or cover/other.

Windows: https://oip.manual.canon/USRMA-0405-zz-DR-enUS/contents/dwu-psource-set.html

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

madam_valentine
Apprentice

I am in the same situation, all printer and pc paper settings match. I choose paper source as auto, but when paper is loaded in the multi purpose tray, it still does not print from that, only from the main drawer. So why to have an auto option if it doesn't choose the right tray automatically.

Hello, 

The automatic selection feature for the paper tray will make the printer pull paper from the tray based off of the paper type/size settings. If you have A4 paper registered in one tray and letter sized paper in the other, the printer will pull the paper automatically based off of the paper size. If both trays have the same paper size loaded, you can select the paper tray that you wanted to print from using the driver settings on the computer.

Announcements