cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF8580Cdw not found by company computer

Gaston_63
Apprentice

My company allows connecting the business laptop to a private printer with some restrictions. They say that when the printer is connected via USB cable, the laptop (Windows 7) should recognize the new USB device. If the printer driver is already installed, all is good, otherwise a technician will install the specific driver remotely.

However, when I connect my printer with the laptop, nothing happens, the new device is not recognized. The technician concluded that it must be the cable, but it is a brand new 4m high-speed USB cable, which works fine on another computer, so the cable cannot be to blame. I can also connect another printer via the same cable to the laptop, and it is immediately recognized.

So, for whatever reason, the combination Canon - my laptop does not work. Does anyone has an idea what might be the issue? Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The drivers for the printer are located here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/color-laser/mf8580cdw?sub...

They should be installed before connecting the printer or when prompted to do so since Windows 7 does not natively support the Canon MF8580Cdw.  Attempting to install hardware under an account or on a device with limited user permissions might not work.  Have the techniciamn install under a user profile with admin permissions.  Also be willing to try another cable, brand or type.  This printer offer 3 connection optiions.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Darius
Whiz

Hi Gaston_63.

In addition to the good information provided by Shadowsports, I'd like to add that, when using a USB connection with a laptop, you may need to plug the laptop in to external power.  USB signals while using battery power may result in poor signal strength to the printer.

You may also try a different USB port on the laptop, if one is available, to check whether the port itself is not the issue.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Gaston_63
Apprentice

It seems the problem was a permission setting which has been fixed by my company's IT department. But thank you for the suggestions!

Announcements