cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF8280Cw can print but not scan

shpider
Contributor

I have a Canon MF8280Cw and a PC.  I have installed the software (multiple times) and connected via a wireless network.  If I input the IP address in a browser I get to the screen the manuals say I should see.  I can print, but when I go to scan I get the message "connect to the computer."  I was told I am connected!  The scanning software says it can't find the scanner but it does show my machine in a dropdown menu, and then when I go to the scan utility in the toolbar it doesn't even show the machine.  I have gone through all the troubleshooting stuff in the manual, uninstalled and reinstalled several times, gone through the whole network setup several times, and still no success.  Can anyone help?!?

32 REPLIES 32

I have a Canon Color Image Class MF8580 Cdw. It is only two years old and lightly used. I have not even used the original toner cartridges. Recently the scanner image and copy images came out blank. The printing works fine, but it will not produce a copy image nor a scanned image. I contacted Canon and they had me reinstall drivers and toolbox software and update software but it still will not work. They said I would have to go to an Vendor for service.

Anyone with experience in something similar, scanner and copy do no longer produce an image, just a blank page all of a sudden after just two years of light use?

Hi Danny,

I'm able to print from Word but not from my email and I can't scan either. I've just loaded the driver for my Canon MG7120 today.

I'm being told the scanner is "turned off," "disconected from the LAN," "wireless signal strenght is poor," "different scanner selected." Code 5,157,69  And when I select the scanner the MG7120 is there. Not sure what's going on. Also, when I try to print from my email, I simply get the message "priter not respoding." I see the document in the printer spool but it just says "error."

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi, Jeff!

Which version of Windows are you using?

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bitly.com/CanonEmail or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks!

Jason,

Your US-based technical support team is NOT standing by 24/7.  They are open weekdays between 8 AM and 8 PM ET.  Just because we can send an e-mail 24/7 doesn't mean your technical support team is "standing by" 24/7.  Idiot.

I am having a similar problem and am about to give up my printer.  Besides not scanning, mine is not copying either. has anyone identified what the problem is? I am thinking that since mine will not copy either, the problem is hardware and not software.

Windows 10

Numiah
Apprentice

I ran into exactly the same issue.

Only my difference is when I configure the printer to use WLAN, it works flawlessly. Printing AND scanning.

Just when I connect through LAN I can only print from various computers without problems.

But scanning doesn't work. Not to computer and not to remote scanner.

I've tried everything that was suggested in this thread to no avail. Also I've performed a full factory reset on the printer.

So I think I need to stick to wireless scanning and printing, although I'm pretty far from an accesspoint, and a scan can take forever this way.

If someone has a working solution to this problem, I'd be really glad to hear about it!

Thank you.

Hi Numia,

If you have not found the solution yet. This is what I discovered perhaps someone has given this method, if not then try to follow the instructions below. Please let me know if it works with you.

I have a similar problem before with my iMac but not with my Windows 10.
For several install/uninstall attempts yet it didn't work. Then, I finally was able to work it out.

1. Use the MF toolbox application. Click the icon.
2. Go to the Network Scanner settings.
3. Click the "+" sign to add your scanner. (Mine is Canon MF8200C Series). Be sure that it is checked. You can add up to 10 scanners.
4. Go to your scanner machine and from there, push the "scan" button. Select a scan type which is "computer" (don't use the remote nor the USB memory select) then, the "specify the destination" appears (mine is Administrator's iMac). Push the OK button.
5. Go back to your computer screen and check the scanner in the MF Toolbox.
6. The application will appear then click the color scan or any of those icons that is displayed on your own choosing.
7. Click the "start" button at the bottom. Then if you hear your scanner machine running. Then, there you are.

I hope this helps.
Have a nice day!

jmlien13
Apprentice

Someone find a solution please,

I am also experiencing this problem and have followed the appropriate steps

karhariasgr
Apprentice

I follow the steps.. now I cannot print, I cannot scan and I cannot unistall the drivers. The Unistaller of Windows 10 stacks and I cannot do anything. 

Is my office pc and the I use(d) the Canon MF8280CW as my printer, fax, and shared printer. 

Now is useless... 

I cannot understand the policy pursued by companies, when a new OS released nothing works, the drivers stack and we need to be patient 1-2-3-4 months for new drivers for new printers. I dont believe you will update the drivers for this one.. 

Announcements