cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MF8280Cw can print but not scan

shpider
Contributor

I have a Canon MF8280Cw and a PC.  I have installed the software (multiple times) and connected via a wireless network.  If I input the IP address in a browser I get to the screen the manuals say I should see.  I can print, but when I go to scan I get the message "connect to the computer."  I was told I am connected!  The scanning software says it can't find the scanner but it does show my machine in a dropdown menu, and then when I go to the scan utility in the toolbar it doesn't even show the machine.  I have gone through all the troubleshooting stuff in the manual, uninstalled and reinstalled several times, gone through the whole network setup several times, and still no success.  Can anyone help?!?

32 REPLIES 32

Danny

Hi, shpider!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer (Windows, Mac OS X, etc), and which specific applications you're trying to scan through. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

Danny,

Thank you very much for the reply.  My computer uses Windows 8.1.  The scanning application is the one that came with the machine (installed both from CD-Rom and from the Canon website).  I've tried scanning in two ways: one by using the scan button on the machine, and that is where the LCD screen displays "connect to computer" message.  I've also tried to scan from the scanning application provided by Canon, and I get a message that the computer cannot connect with the scanner.

I've gone through the network settings various times and each time I am told that I have a connection, and I have no problems printing.  I also get the page the manual displays (that says I am connected) when I input the IP address in a brower window.

I'm not sure the source of the disconnect.  Why can I print and why do the network settings show I am connected.  Can I be connected to the network but not to the computer that is also connected to the network and still print?

Thank you!

Hi shpider.

I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and software.  However, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from the Canon USA website.  Please follow the instructions below:

To uninstall the drivers for your MF8580Cdw, please follow these steps: (If certain items are not listed or found, move on to the next step.)

1.  Power off the MF8580Cdw.

2.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

3.  Select 'Control Panel'.

4.  Select Devices and Printers.  The Devices and Printers window opens.

5.  In the Devices and Printers window, right click on the MF8500 Series and select 'Remove' to delete the printer.  Delete all of the icons for the MF8580Cdw.

6.  Close the Devices and Printers window then press the Windows key and 'x'.

7.  Select 'Control Panel'.

8.  Select 'Programs and Features'.

9.  Double click on the driver to uninstall.  Follow the on screen prompts.  Repeat to uninstall the MF Tool box.

10.  Restart you computer.

Once your computer restarts, please follow these steps to download and install the drivers from Canon's web site:

1.  Visit our web site at: http://www.usa.canon.com

2.  After clicking SUPPORT & DRIVERS in the top right corner, select your model in the following manner: 
     a.  From the first menu, CONSUMER & HOME OFFICE.

b.  From the second menu, select PRINTERS & MULTIFUNCTION.

c.  From the third menu, select your series, IMAGECLASS series.

d.  From the fourth menu, click DRIVERS & SOFTWARE under imageCLASS MF8580Cdw.

3.  Select DRIVERS AND SOFTWARE.  The system will automatically detect your operating system.

4.  Click on 'DRIVERS', then click on [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF8580Cdw MFDrivers file to download the drivers.

5.  Click on I Agree - Begin Download on the next page.

6.  When the Save As box comes up, choose Desktop and click Save. 

7.  Once the download is complete, click on 'I Decline- Go Back' and you will return to the previous page.

8.  Click on 'SOFTWARE', then click on the [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf17 file to download the MF Toolbox.

9.  Click on I Agree - Begin Download on the next page.

10.  When the Save As box comes up, choose Desktop and click Save. 

11.  Once the download is complete, close all windows.

12.  Double click the [ToolBox_4911mf17_Win_EN.exe] file on the Desktop.  Follow the prompts to install the MF Toolbox.

13.  Double click the [MF8500C_Series_PCL_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN_1.exe] file on the Desktop.  Files will extract.  A new folder will be created on the desktop. The new folder has the same name as the decompressed file.  Double-click the decompressed Setup.exe file to start installation.

14.  Power the printer back on and follow the instructions to reinstall the printer.  Installation will complete.

15.  Restart your computer.

After the computer restarts, try scanning with the MF Toolbox.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I very much appreciate your detailed response.  Very, very helpful.

I am running into a vexing problem that I can't overcome and that prevents me from implementing all your suggestions.

When I click on the setup applicaiton file, I get the following message:

"ScanGear is currently opened.  Close the ScanGear window and run setup again.  If you do not have ScanGear open, it may be opened by other users on this system. Close all ScanGear windows and then try again."

Well, I don't have it open and neither do any other users.  I've checked the task manager on both the administrator's account as well as the only other user account and have confirmed that no Canon programs or scanner programs are running.  Yet I get this error saying that it is open somewhere. 

If it isn't visible, and the task manager doesn't detect it, I don't know how in the world I could find it to close it.

Have you seen this error before? Any ideas?

Thank you again, very, very much.

Hi shpider.

Thank you for your reply.

Please restart the computer and the printer.  If the issue persists, I recommend placing the computer in 'Selective Startup Mode', and then installing the drivers.  Please follow the instructions below to place the computer in this mode:

1.  Press the Windows key and 'x'.

2.  Select 'Run'.

3.  In the Run window type: Msconfig

4.  Select OK.  If the UAC window opens, type in your password and select OK.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Selective Start Up'.

6.  Uncheck the box labeled 'Load Start Up Items'.

7.  Click Apply.

8.  Under the Services Tab, click on 'Hide all Microsoft Services' at the bottom of the window just above the OK button.

9.  Click 'Disable All'.

10.  Click Apply.

11.  Click Close.

12.  Restart the computer.

After installing the drivers, please perform a scan.  Once you have successfully performed a scan, place the computer back in 'Normal Startup Mode' by following the instructions below:

2.  Select 'Run'.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.  The Services tab automatically returns to the previous settings.

6.  Click Apply.

7.  Click Close.

8.  Restart the computer.

If the issue remains, after following the instructions above, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful reply.  The problem persists, so I've tried to call tech support.  They're closed by the time I usually get home, so I'll have to try to leave work early.  I'll report back on the results of my conversation with them.

Thank you again

Patrice,

I don't know if you can help with this, but I can't get my computer back into normal startup mode.  Every time I turn on the machine, its in selective startup and ever since I put it into selective startup mode to try the fix suggested my iphones will not show up in iTunes--a bunch of programs were turned off and no matter how many times I try to turn them back on, I still can't get the computer into normal startup mode and can't get my iPhones to be recognized.  I don't want to have to reimage my computer, but I can't seem to undo what has been done.

Have you seen this problem before?

Hi shpider.

No, the computer should return to normal startup mode without any issues.  To place the computer back in 'Normal Startup Mode', please following the instructions below:

2.  Select 'Run'.

5.  In the System Properties screen, choose 'Normal Start Up'.  The Services tab automatically returns to the previous settings.

6.  Click Apply.

7.  Click Close.

8.  Restart the computer.

If you are still unable to place the computer back in normal startup, I recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer.

I agree that the computer should return to normal startup mode, but it does not. I have tried following these instructions at least a half a dozen times, with no success. Maybe its a computer issue, I don't know.
Announcements