cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there drivers for all functions of the MF5700 Series for windows 7 and 8?

scotchleaf
Apprentice

Are there drivers for all functions of the MF5700 Series for windows 7 and 8?  

I can get it to print, but not scan...even with third party software.

4 REPLIES 4

scotchleaf
Apprentice
If not, Canon can be sure my next printer WON'T be from them. Why buy something which the manufacturer will intentionally render obsolete?

Hi scotchleaf.

There are drivers available for Windows 7 and Windows 8.  If you are running the 64-bit version of the operating system, you will need to perform a manual installation of the drivers.  Currently, the drivers for Windows 8.1 are listed as Windows 8.  When the site detects your operating system, click the drop-down arrow and change it to Windows 8 (x64).

Next, disconnect the printer from the computer, uninstall any drivers that were previously installed,  and follow the steps below to install the printer: 

1. Close Internet Explorer and open your 'Downloads' folder.
  2. In 'Downloads', you will see two listings (one will look like a clamp icon, the other will be a yellow file folder icon) with the name MF5730_5750_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN.exe or MF5770_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN.exeDrag the yellow file folder icon to your desktop.
  3. Connect your printer to the computer.
  4. Close the 'Downloads' folder.
  5. Click the 'Windows Start Button' and then right-click 'Computer'.
  6. Select 'Manage'. This will open the 'Computer Management' window.
  7. Click 'Device Manager' in the left column.
  8. In the middle section of the window, you should see a listing that says 'Other Devices'.
  9. Click the drop-down arrow beside other devices and you should see three Canon listings there.
  10.   Right-click on the first listing and select 'Update Driver Software'.
  11.   Next click on the 'Browse My Computer' option.
  12.   Click 'Browse' again and then scroll down in the window that pops up and select the folder you dragged to your desktop.
  13.   Click 'OK' and then click 'Next'.
  14.   After it updates successfully, close the window and repeat the steps for the other two Canon listings.

There is no scanning software available for the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8, so you will need to use a third party scanning software.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666), Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM EST.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrice Canon Expert

do NOT give 10 steps to installing drivers and then finally answer Scott's question about not being able to scan. Just start with the line "I and Canon have no idea how to get an older Canon MF printer to scan in Windows 7 or 8 and we don't care enough about customers to find a fix."

On a phone call, a Canon support staff told me drivers are just for printing/faxing and "software" (isn't a driver a software???) is for scanning, and then stated that Canon MF5700 printers cannot scan in Windows 7/8 and Canon doesn't know of any way to fix that. She bristled when I suggested Canon state that clearly in the webpage for downloading Canon MF5700 drivers so customers don't keep spending hours trying to download new/old drivers that never enable scanning.

There is a very simple fix to one line in the root directory. And guess what - I'm no tech expert, I just found the fix from a reply in a different forum about Canon printers not scanning in Windows 7/8. Obviously, that person does not work for Canon.

Never Mind, I already went and bought a Brother...

Announcements