cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

642cdw prints but does not scan

zalesky47
Apprentice

I have the MF642cdw multi-function device.  The device is connected via a USB cable to my desktop computer.  My OS is Windows 11.  My problem is that it prints but does not scan.  When I try to scan I get a pop up window that says:  "Cannot communicate with the scanner.  The cable may be disconnected, or the scanner may be turned off.  Check the scanner status and try again. Scanner driver will be terminated."

So, obviously, since I can print, the cable is connected and the device is turned on.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

zalesky47
Apprentice

Problem solved.  I have Malwarebytes Premium installed.  After checking with Malwarebytes Support, it was suggested to disable "Exploit Protection" and that solved the issue.  I can now scan and print. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Zalesky47,

If you can print but not scan, you can try reinstalling the Generic Plus UFR II / Generic FAX / ScanGear from the link found HERE. While reinstalling, you can turn off any security software running on the computer and select the option for USB in the setup. Once the setup is complete, you can try scanning to see if it works. I would suggest checking the scanning while the security is off since it can block the scanner connection. If you continue having issues with the scanner connection, I would suggest contacting support to check what might be blocking the scanner connection.

zalesky47
Apprentice

Thanks Hector.  I tried what you suggested and ran into a new problem, that being I got a popup that said scanner driver not supported or something to that effect.  Had to download the scanner utility as well to get rid of that popup message. So, I'm back to square one.  Can print but can't scan.  Getting the same popup message I posted in my original message. I'll contact support per your suggestion.  I'll post if I get a resolution.  Thanks.

zalesky47
Apprentice

Problem solved.  I have Malwarebytes Premium installed.  After checking with Malwarebytes Support, it was suggested to disable "Exploit Protection" and that solved the issue.  I can now scan and print. 

Announcements