Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

would Canon think about a 30-105L f2.8?

30mm is still wide by film standards. & more reach than 24-70. Plus the shorter zoom may help design. Wide angle lenses are unaffected. I know it streamlines the standard zoom market but not many folks will be buying more than 1 standard zoom.
I would certainly trade up my Sigma 2.8 with a definitive winner. But the current Canon cluster in that segment doesn't allow a clear winner.
Respected Contributor

Re: would Canon think about a 30-105L f2.8?

The 30mm end isn't the problem, it's the 2.8 @ 105. 

Given the recent release, success, and price of the 24-70, and it’s pairing [focal length] with the ubiquitous 70-200, I’d say it’s highly unlikely.

VIP

"I’d say it’s highly unlikely."  This says it all.Smiley Happy

EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!
New Contributor

Thanks. Didn't really ask the right question. Don't want to dictate technical solution. Zoom range, lens 'speed'. I Understand that lens development has other factors like history and optimizing market share. But sometimes the announcements of new products and the choice of particular technical features just confuses me to no end. I'm only an amateur who made some ignorant choices when I entered this dslr age and now am trying to streamlining my kit without compromising capability.