cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will the lenes from a eos rebel T5 fit the eos 6D mark ii

Fly620
Apprentice

I have a canon EOS Rebel T5 with multiple cannon lenes. I am wanting to by a Canon EOS 6D mark ii and was wondering if the lenes I have would even fit the mark ii?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I am assuming you mean 5D Mark II or 6D; there is no 6D Mark II as of today.

The 5D and 6D bodies are full frame cameras and can only use Canon EF lenses. It is quite possible that you have Canon EF-S lenses for yoyr Rebel. They are not compatible with full frame cameras.

If you have non-Canon lenses for yoyr Rebel they will fit the full frame bodies, but unless the lens is designed for full frame cameras they will vignette; you will get dark edges at some if not all focal lengths.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... was wondering if the lenes I have would even fit the mark ii?"

If all you have is Canon lenses, they will not even mount if they won't work.  They have a pin to prevent you from doing so.

If you have off brand lenses, you may run into difficulties more severe than just vignetting.  Make sure you only try and use lenses designed for FF bodies.

PS There is no 6D Mk II .....yet.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

" you may run into difficulties more severe than just vignetting"

Please share. I have not heard of any problems with third party EF mount lenses other than potential vignetting.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"I have not heard of any problems with third party EF mount lenses other than potential vignetting."

I had a lady, a while ago, bring me a new to her 5D Mk II. SHe said the lens works well on her Rebel (?).  She had an older Tamron APS-C lens.  I don't remember which one right now but it would not auto focus on the 5D2.  Of course this is a known problem with some older Tamron and Sigma lenses. Probably made even worse by not being on the mount it was designed for.

The back element can move when the lens zooms or focuses so it may work sometimes.  It may strike the mirror sometimes, too.

Why take the chance?  It is not going to give you the best photo by a long shot.  I guess if you don't care, go for it.  It's your camera after all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Fly620 wrote:

I have a canon EOS Rebel T5 with multiple cannon lenes. I am wanting to by a Canon EOS 6D mark ii and was wondering if the lenes I have would even fit the mark ii?

As already noted, Canon's "EF-S" lenses are specifically designed for Rebel Series of cameras, and a few others, all of which have what is known as "APS-C" sized sensors.  Any of the Canon lenses that have model numbers beginning with "EF-S" will not fit onto a Canon DSLR with a "full frame" sized sensor.

Canon "full-frame" DSLR cameras use lenses with model numbers that begin with "EF", not "EF-S".

If you are still in doubt, post the model numbers of the lenses that you are questioning.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The OP hasn't mentioned which (specific) lenses these are.  It makes a difference.

The "kit" lens is normally an EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II.    You cannot mount an "EF-S" lens onto a full frame sensor camera bodies (all 5D models and the 6D are full frame cameras).  No exceptions.

You CAN mount any "EF" lens (just makes sure there's no "-S" suffix).  "EF" lenses will mount on ANY Canon EOS body, film or digital, crop-frame or full-frame -- doesn't matter. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements