cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will lenses from T2 fit a T5i?

huskerfan
Apprentice

I apologize if this has been asked and answered.  My wife has a T2, and I was considering buying her a T5i for Christmas.  It is considerably cheaper to buy the body only.  Will her current lenses fit the T5i body? 

7 REPLIES 7

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

T2 as in the film camera or did you mean T2i ... the digital camera?

In any case, all Canon brand "EOS" film camera lenses will work on EOS digital cameras (3rd party lenses may or may not work.)  

A Canon T5i can use any Canon EOS "EF" series lens or any "EF-S" series lens.  There are also a few speciality lenses like the "TS-E" and "MP-E" lenses and those work as well.

Sometimes old lenses are no longer produced because they have been replaced by newer models with offer better quality -- so consider if you think old lenses are still offering the results you want.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The key word here is "EF".  If it had EF in it's name it will work.  As to how well, that is up to you and/or your wife.

Personally I would prefer to choose and buy my lenses instead of getting the standard Rebel kit lenses.

There are some great buys out there such as the EF 28-135mm.  You may consider used, too, but check it out before you buy to make sure it is OK.  I see this outstanding lens for sale used for under $200 bucks.  Sometimes way under!  Also you can look at Canon referbushed, same as new with full warranty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The key word here is "EF".  If it had EF in it's name it will work.  

I'm careful with that because while it used to be true a few years ago, Canon introduced two lenses for their mirrorless cameras and those are designated as "EF-M".  Those lenses will _not_ work because they are optimized for a different back-focus distance on a camera that has no reflex mirror.  Although the EOS-M camera can use regular EF & EF-S lenses because the adapter positions the lens farther forward to provide the longer (correct) back-focus distance required by EF & EF-S lenses.  The EOS-M camera is no longer sold... but those two lenses are still available.

That means out of the entire Canon lineup of EOS lenses (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-80 lenses) there are only two lenses that will not work with a EOS Rebel T5i camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yes, you are correct, sir.  Smiley Embarassed

But in all my travels I have never seen any or even one for sale.  Except at the big New York mail order stores.  I doubt the OP will encounter one either.

I have heard, I don't know first hand, that an adapter is made for them. Why, I have no idea as this is a page Canon needs to put in the very distant past.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Yes, you are correct, sir.  Smiley Embarassed

But in all my travels I have never seen any or even one for sale.  Except at the big New York mail order stores.  I doubt the OP will encounter one either.

I have heard, I don't know first hand, that an adapter is made for them. Why, I have no idea as this is a page Canon needs to put in the very distant past.

There is (or at least was) an adapter to allow use of EF and EF-S lenses on the M. I never saw any mention of an adapter to allow EF-M lenses on a non-M camera. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, of course. But it must have been pretty rare.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

" But it must have been pretty rare."

And thank heaven for that!  This is a system that shold have never been.  I am sure Canon would like to forget all about it.

EB

I think it's one way only. It's basically a bit like an extension tube in that it needs to hold the lens far enough away to come up with the required 44mm mounting flange to focal plane distance that Canon uses on all EOS cameras.

Anyway, I used to tell people they can use any EOS lens, but ever since they came out with those EF-M lenses I have to be careful to point out that you can use any lens *except* one of those two EF-M lenses.
Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements