cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wide angle lens for 7d. Have a 70-200 L 2.8

carmenday
Apprentice

Buying a 7d, replacing my 40d. I have a 70-200l 2.8. Would like a wide angle lens. which would be a good lens? thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Scatterbrained
Enthusiast

From Canon?  The 10-22 for UWA.  Of course, if you only have the 70-200 you might find more benefit in the 17-55.

jfo
Rising Star

What are you shooting?  If you like things *really* wide, and have the budget, the 8-15mm fisheye is awesome.

Bazsl
Rising Star

The 15-85mm EF-S is a good wide angle and a good walk around lens.

cuda719
Enthusiast

The 10-22 is a good lens, I went for the Canon 8-15 Fisheye and love it with my 7D

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Do you _only_ have the 70-200?

The 70-200 is a telephoto zoom... the "widest" it gets is still a telephoto focal length.  

A "standard" zoom would provide a litttle wide-angle and a little telephoto -- and usually nothing too extreme in either direction.  There are lots of options here.  One of the nicer lenses is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM specifically because it's an f/2.8 lens.  There are also a number of variable focal ratio normal zooms -- the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM gets great reviews (I don't own one myself.)

But if you want wide angle and only wide angle, then the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 is probably the top choice.

A "normal" angle of view is an angle of view which approximates what your human eye can see just looking straight ahead (not moving your eye to look around).    On a 7D body, a lens in the neighborhood of around 30-31mm will aproximate that angle of view.   Anything much less than 30 will appear to be wide-angle.  Anything much above will appear to be a bit zoomed in / telephoto.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

10-22.  Price just dropped, it's quite reasonable now.  It's a great lens.

Announcements