cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wide angle lens compatible with Canon eos Rebel t5 for $300 or less

FutureSailor
Apprentice

I am looking for a good wide angle lens compatible with my Canon eos Rebel t5 camera. I am on a tight budget, and would like to spend $300 or less on the lens. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@FutureSailor wrote:

I am looking for a good wide angle lens compatible with my Canon eos Rebel t5 camera. I am on a tight budget, and would like to spend $300 or less on the lens. If you have any recommendations, please let me know.

The Canon EF-S 10-18 IS STM is your clear choice.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@FutureSailor wrote:

The Canon EF-S 10-18 IS STM is your clear choice.

Yep.  No reason to look at 3rd party lenses in this category and price range. None are better, and with Canon you have no nagging worries about whether the autofocus will translate and work ideally. You should be happy with this lens. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"None are better, and with Canon you have no nagging worries about whether the autofocus will translate and work"

This is really good advice which I try to follow as much as possible.  Generally, stick with Canon.  However if Canon doesn't make what you want than look else where. Unlikely, but it happens!  Another reason might be price as some of Canon's entries are extremely expensive. Very possible!  They are not particularly designed for the masses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The Canon EF-S 10-18mm is not only likely the most affordable lens, it's also the most versatile and provides the best optics.  It's about $300.

There is a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 prime for about the same price, but it's not "chipped" (meaning it can't communicate with the camera body and everything is manual).  There's also a "chipped" version but that's closer to $500 and is otherwise identical except it can communicate with the camera body so the camera knows what it has.

Astrophotographers like the Rokinon because of the f/2.8 focal ratio (when taking night images you're usually trying to collect as much light as you can).   There's also an 8mm f/3.5 fish-eye (also everything completely manual.)

Other than that... all the lenses are above the $300 price range.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements