cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wide angle converter

qqqavi
Contributor

Hi everyone, 

Can anyone recommend me a wide angle converter with decent quality of x0.43 or x0.5x for a canon lens with 52 or 58 filter diameter? I know a lot of them are very soft .

Thank you. 

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Can anyone recommend me a wide angle converter with decent quality..."

Simple, quick answer,... NO !  Don't waste your money.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Rather than convert your existing lens, it would be much better to get an EF-S 10-18 lens, you can probably get a good deal on a refurbished one:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-10-18mm-f45-56-is-stm-refurbished

for $240.

Let's say I want to convert a 50 mm lens to a 21.5 mm lens (0.43x) and take advantage of the shallow depth of field. 

Same answer.  Simple, quick ,... NO !  

"Don't waste your money."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ok. Thank you. 

You can't get a wide DOF with a wide angle lens.

I used a depth of field calculator.

An f/1.8 50 mm lens with a subject at 3 m has a DOF of 2.8 - 3.2 m

An f/1.8 21 mm lens with a subject at 3 m has a DOF of 2.3 to 4.3 m

Even if you got one of those expensive anti-Teleconvertors that *increase* the aperture number with a wider fov, if the resultant 21 mm lens had an f/1.0 aperture, the DOF would still be 2.6 to 3.6 m.

I think you mean a shallow DOF not "wide".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that by mounting a WA converter in front of a 50 mm lens (let's say at aperture 1.8), I'll get only a wide angle of view not a deep depth of field. Think of an anamorphic lens. 

Best. 

I think you only get that with something like a Metabones Speedbooster*, not a wide-angle attachment.

*But that has to attach between the lens and the body.

Maybe you can try something like this:

http://ryanbrenizer.com/2011/05/brenizer-method-instructions/

Announcements