cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which telephoto lens?

Juggernaut12121
Apprentice

I know there's an extremely similar topic below but it didn't help me out too much. I'm new on here and pretty new when it comes to photography (I've only been with it for about two years or so). Anyway I was looking for a telephoto lens for my 70D and while checking around and asking a few people I've came across a few of interest: the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD, the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM, and the Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM.

I was wondering is anyone was familiar wiht these lenses or could offer me any other advice on the matter.

I'm looking to shoot wildlife and things like that and I want to keep the budget under $1000.

A big thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

ScottyP
Authority
Look at Canon 400 f/5.6. Sharp lens for relatively.cheap at like $1200. Probably less on Black Friday.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Of the ones you listed of interest, the choice goes to the Tamron 150-600mm.  I have all of the lenses you listed and it is the clear winner by far.

But a lens you didn't mention is the EF 100-400mm version 1.  There is a new version 2 now and I suspect you will see a lot of these come up on the used market as guys sell them in favor of the new one.  And supply and demand will drive down it's price.  It and the big Tammy are nearly identical in IQ (except 400mm vs 600mm).

Personally I don't like the Sigma 150-500mm so I will not reccommend it to anyone.  Their 50-500mm is a little better but I still don't reccommend it either.  There is a Sigma 150-600mm coming and I have a pre-order already in place fir it.

But as I said the Tamron is the one you want.  It only falls short to the Canon EF 100-400mm in build.  The Canon is an "L" model and the Tammy falls very short on build.  Take care of it and don't abuse it and it will serve you well.  The USA version has a 6 year warranty to help relieve this.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements