cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which is better among reverse lense, extension tubes or close up filters for canon 1200d

munirajuvfx
Contributor

iam using canon 1200d, iam very interested in macro photography, iam confused in buying wether extension tubes or useing reverse lense or closeup filters 

help me to gt right one

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Reverse lenses, extension tubes, and close up filters are not really macro photography.  I've never tried to reverse a lenses, but it seems like it is more trouble than it is worth to me.  Extension tubes and close up filters will cause your camera/lens setup to lose the ability to focus to infinity, which really doesn't matter if you're focusing on stuff very close to the camera. 

You will never get true 1:1 magnification with any of those approaches.  But, depending upon what you're photographing, you may not need to.  For me, macro photography has meant taking close-up pictures of finished plates of food.  I don't really need 1:1 magnification for that application.  I just want the plate to fill the frame.

If you want to get serious about macro photography of the very small, and 1:1 magnification, then purchase a true macro lens.  The EF-S 60mm macro lens would be a good choice for the 1200D.  There are also two 100mm macro lenses, which could be better choices than the 60mm because ot the longer focal lengths.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

While not totally correct, Waddizzle's reply is generally right on.

I have seen some pretty impressive 'macro' photography with reverse lenses.  IMHO, too, it is a pain to get right and a real macro lens is better, in most cases.

Extension tubes simply alter the focal point of a lens. In other words it lets it focus closer to the camera.  Sometimes even touching the front element.

At Hallamrk we always used macro lenses. Never any other close focus gimmick.  If I were going to get back into this hobby, there is no doubt which lens I would get. The Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Lens.  It is unbelieveably sharp a real jewel in macro photography. It is worth saving for it need be.  My second choice and one I recently sold, is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens. Avery good lens in its own right, too.  Plus is is a little more affordable. 

Save your money for the tubes and reversing stuff and put it towards one of these lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

[ save space}

Save your money for the tubes and reversing stuff and put it towards one of these lenses.

As usual, your tastes lean toward the state of the art.  What do you think about the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

[ save space}

As usual, your tastes lean toward the state of the art.  What do you think about the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo lens?

A magnificent piece of glass but I would be afraid to get that as a very first macro lens from what I've read. It does nothing but macro.  It can only focus by moving the lens closer or farther from the subject.  DOF is razor thin. You probably need focus rails almost all the time?  But then I am probably more cautious and conservative about new things than some.

I plan to get a macro lens but I believe I'll start with a 100mm Canon or maybe a 150mm from a 3rd party.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"As usual, your tastes lean toward the state of the art."

What can I say, the best is the best.  Unfortunaltely it costs money.

"What do you think about the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo lens?"

I can not comment on the  MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro lens because I have never owned or used one.  I have used the EF 100mm f2.8L and the EF 180mm f3.5L.  I try to hold "my recommended" comments to lenses I 'personally' own or use.

I have sold all my macro gear because I have little interest in it any longer.

I would never consider buying a macro lens under 100mm because of the working distance. That is the big reason I discount any macro lens under 100mm without personal use or testing.  The MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro may be a fine lens!  It is not for me!

Sometimes is is cheaper to start with the best instead of maybe buying lesser lenses and then finding out you want the better lens anyway.  Buy the best and cry once is an old photographic saying.

The EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Lens is a duo purpose lens as it makes a great medium tele.  It has the disadvantage of only a f3.5 max aperture (most lenses in this range offer f2.8) but it offers f32.  Give to get?  It is ultra slow to focus so a sports lens it is not.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

thank u for ur suggestion

but iam very poor, if i need to get lense like u said i need to wait for more than 3 years save money for that

my salery is just $200 per month

any other suggestion please

Announcements