cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is a good lens to take to Montana

susie55
Apprentice

I have a Canon T3i but may want to rent a wide angle lens...I presently have 2 kit lens

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you anticipate taking many pictures of wildlife?  Unless, you plan out a trip for the express purpose of photographing wildlife, it is unlikely that you will capture many shots of wildlife by carrying a big lens in your bag, just in case.  You are more likely to scare off the wildlife because they may notice you long before you spot them.

The best wildlife shoots are carefully planned out in advance, taking advantage of knowledge about the particular wildlife that you wish to photograph.  For example, constructing a blind near a known area for birds to gather, and then occupying the blind before sunrise, and staying inside of it for hours at a time. 

If you have a camera kit 70-300mm lens, you may be disappointed by the image quality when you take critical photos, if you have not been already.  With an APS-C camera body, a 600mm maximum focal length would give you an equivalent 35mm focal length of 960mm.  Without some practice, it will be difficult to capture sharp pictures by handholding the camera with a lens at that focal length. 

Long zooms can be expensive, and quite heavy to carry.  They come with a learning curve, if you have never used one.  You would need to carry one in its' own bag, or you would need a large backpack to carry it with the rest of your gear.  You would definitely benefit from carrying a fairly robust tripod, in order to support the weight of super telephoto lens.  In the outdoors, wind can be a detrimental factor.  Wind can shake a light tripod, especially one weighed down with a heavy load.

If feel the need to carry a long zoom, I would recommend one of the 70-200mm lenses, and leave your camera kit 70-300mm zoom at home.  You can capture pretty good, casual wildlife photos without using a super-telephoto lens.  Your APS-C body can turn a 70-200mm lens into a 35mm equivalent of 112-320mm, which is close to the focal range of Canon's 100-400mm zooms. 

One of the two Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L lenses, either with or without IS, could be a good choice.  I would put a priority on traveling light, and less so on being prepared for every scenario.  Remember, you can always crop a photo taken with a quality lens, and still wind up with a good result.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

@kvbarkley wrote:

This one was on the other side of the river, and a ranger was there to prevent anyone from doing anything stupid.

If you mean the moose, then having a river in between you and moose made it a little safer, but that could depend upon the nature of the river at that point.  I'd bet money that the ranger was watching the moose just as closely as the people. 

How do I know the moose cracked the radiator on that one car?  By the plume of steam that escaped from under the hood.  That's how.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I presently have 2 kit lens ..."

Which I assume one is the ef-s 18-55mm is II?  That is plenty wide for most of what you will likely need.  If you feel you do need a wider lens I suggest you buy a ef-s 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 is stm.  They are just under $300 bucks or so.

"... but may want to rent a wide angle lens"

The lens to rent would better be the telephoto. Either the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm are equal in IQ and both are pretty light in weight for what they are and can do.  For wildlife I consider 300mm as the least focal length you should consider.

If your other kit lens is the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6, its focal length stops where it should start!  Birds for instance are quite small even at 300mm unless you are very close. 

I would recommend you get the super tele zoom first and practice with it for a bit before your trip.  It isn't hard to use, lot's of people just like you do it every day.  But a little practice wouldn't hurt either!  If I were you I would leave the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 at home.  IMHO, of course.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Two examples of what I am trying to get across about a telephoto.  I maintain 300mm to be the least focal length you or anybody should consider.  Both of these shots were with the Sigma 150-600mm version but the Tamron does equally as good.

I have no prefference.

The red wing blackbird was at 600mm and I was about 25 feet away.  It is as it came from the camera/lens combo.  There is no enlargement or cropping to either photo.  The blue heron was at 500mm and I was about 40 feet away from it.

_52D2879.jpg

_52D2885.jpg

As you might ascertain, if you were using a 300mm, or smaller focal length, lens both of these birds would be very much smaller in the frame and require enlarging or cropping.  Both of these were taken with the S version of the Sigma 150-600mm which is a very heavy lens. I shot both hand held.  The Tamron and the C version of the Sigma lens  are very much lighter and easily hand holdable.  Either lens can be rented for a vacation.  It all depends on what you want.

EB

LOVE your shots!!! Mine are never that clear with kit lens 75-300mm of course 🙂 thank you for taking the time to post! Going per plane and with non photographers so I will see but I would enjoy this lens

"... but I would enjoy this lens"

By that remark are you referring to the Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm?  I have more confidence in you that the others. I have no doubt you can master either one.  After all they had to start somewhere too.  Why not now?  Go fo it kiddo, it will be fun.

It is really a "your choice" thing as both are nearly identical to each other.  In every respect except, the Tamron is more weather resistant than the Siggy. A main reason I choose the Sigma "S" version of that lens. It is totally water proof!  But it weighs a ton. So make sure you get the "C" version if you go with the Sigma.

Have a great trip and take lots of pictures and come back and show some.  Smiley Happy

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements