cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vignetting on 150-600 sigma and tamron

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

Hello

I am writing to you to ask what are the differences in vignetting in these two lenses.?

has any one chosen the tamron over the sigma s or c because of this issue.

Also would any one go for the c over the s?

19 REPLIES 19

ScottyP
Authority

Some things you have to see. A verbal description will not be worth much. 

For or stuff like this on camera lenses there is a lens comparison tool on The Digital Picture. You can see sharpness or vignetting, etc. side by side from 2 different lenses on several different cameras at different apertures and compare for yourself.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am writing to you to ask what are the differences in vignetting in these two lenses.?"

Virtually all big super teles vignette at wide open.  It is no problem as it is easily handled in post. There isn't a nickle's worth of difference in IQ between any of these super zooms.  If you have to get down to pixel peeping, the SIgma S is best.  I think I have already told you that, though.  I have and I use all of them.  

I did choose the Sigma S over the others for my keeper lens.  I may sell the others.  I choose it for a real reason and not which vignettes less.

If you would have asked which one is the best, I would have said the SIgma S.  But I believe I already told you that, also?   Yes, it has slightly better IQ but it has so many other feature's that make it the best.  Weight is not one of them if you are sensitive to that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Virtually all big super teles vignette at wide open.

Sigma_150-500_Vignetting.PNG

Some don't need to be wide open, either.  But, most anything short of catastropic failure seems to be correctable.

Sigma_150-500_Vignetting.LR6.PNG

Big difference.  What I have noticed with that lens is that it seemed to vignette on underexposed shots.  Or at least, with shots that are not shot "to the left".  Letting the camera decide one of the legs of the exposure triangle usually resulted in vignetting, regardless of focal length or aperture.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Virtually all big super teles vignette at wide open.

Sigma_150-500_Vignetting.PNG

Some don't need to be wide open, either.  But, most anything short of catastropic failure seems to be correctable.

Sigma_150-500_Vignetting.LR6.PNG

Big difference.  What I have noticed with that lens is that it seemed to vignette on underexposed shots.  Or at least, with shots that are not shot "to the left".  Letting the camera decide one of the legs of the exposure triangle usually resulted in vignetting, regardless of focal length or aperture.

This will probably sound goofy, but I think I might have corrected that picture only halfway. The severe vignetting in the original is certainly intrusive, but the fully corrected version, with the perfectly flat background, is boring.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"This will probably sound goofy, but I think I might have corrected that picture only halfway. The severe vignetting in the original is certainly intrusive, but the fully corrected version, with the perfectly flat background, is boring." 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

I agree.  The sky that day was absolutely clear, and a rich blue.  The correction software took away the vibrance of the blue sky.  I don't like it, either.  So much so, that I sold the lens.  Correction may have been cleaning up vignetting, but it was introducing stuff that I didn't like.

I'm torn between the 300mm or 400mm "L" primes, or going for another long zoom like the 100-400mm, or a 150-600mm,

"The correction software took away the vibrance of the blue sky."

Obiviously, it wasn't PS?   BTW, what lens was it exactly.  I thought you meant the 150-600 Tammy or Siggy?

EB

I used LR6 to correct the vignetting.  I didn't try to add anything back.    That was before and after the click.

The camera, shot settings, focal length, and lens are identified in the screen shots, it was the Sigma 150-500mm.

"...  it was the Sigma 150-500mm."

Oh, yes the Sigma 150-500mm.  I have a love/hate relationship with that lens.  I have had three of them.  The one I have now is very good.  Good mind you not great but for that lens, good is great!

aa.jpg

bb.jpg

cc.jpg

As you can see PS did a nice job with any vignette.  Most people would be fine with a lens like this.

EB

BTW, those were from a 8mp 1D Mk II N, for the curious one of you.  (Yes, 8 mp!)

The 1D Mark II N has the same 8.2 megapixel CMOS sensor and the same DIGIC II image processor and 8.5 fps shooting speed as the original 1D Mk II has.  It is one of Canon's best efforts in a pro level DSLR.

EB
Announcements